Are you a professional (water) economist with multiple years of experience in the field of climate adaptation and natural resource management specifically in relation to water challenges? And are you interested in contributing in providing social and economic planning advice? We are looking for a senior water economist to support and further shape the economic discipline in Deltares.
Senior Water Economist
As senior economist, you will become part of the Water Resources and Delta Management (WDM) department. Our department focusses on wide-ranging, interdisciplinary projects both in the Netherlands and abroad. Typical projects undertaken concern Climate adaptation, Integrated Water Resource Management and Flood & Climate risk assessments providing social and economic planning advice. Our client base consists mostly of governments, development banks, companies, and NGOs.
As senior economist at WDM you will be responsible for providing inclusive high-quality advice, based on both qualitative and quantitative economic methods and tools, making use of stakeholder engagement approaches. With your ability to connect with the technical disciplines (e.g. hydrology, civil engineering) and your economic background you will bring together the best of both worlds to provide expert advice.
What can you expect as a senior water economist?
In your role as a senior water economist your main responsibilities are:
- Provide specific economic expertise in our national and international planning and assessment projects, often in interdisciplinary project teams;
- You use qualitative and quantitative economic methods, data and information to support your advice on complex decisionmaking processes concerning climate resilience strategies and integrated water resources planning;
- Strengthen and further shape the economic discipline within Deltares in relation to the core work and expertise of Deltares;
- With your excellent stakeholder management skills you engage with clients and stakeholders in co-designing sustainable and climate resilient solutions for their problems;
- Acquisition of new projects, proposal writing and contract negotiation;
- Present products and project results, and handle client relations;
- Actively engage in strategic discussions within Deltares ;
- Support and guide junior and medior (economic) colleagues.
Candidates should also be interested in integrating new insights and scientific methods on distributional impact assessment and equity in decision-making processes. You need a fine sense of different communication styles to operate successfully in a complex and diverse organization.
What does Deltares expect from you?
- MSc or PhD in environmental or natural resource economics, international economics, development economics, econometrics, or related discipline and 10 + years of experience in a similar roll:
- Able to work in a fast pace and complex work environment
- Experience in working in international projects
- Proven ability in using economic decisionmaking support tools, such as Cost-Benefit Analysis, Multi-Criteria Analysis, Cost-Effectiveness Analysis;
- Experience with quantification of economic impacts by using economic models such as Equilibrium Models, InputOutput modelling, Agent-Based Model, System dynamic models is a plus;
- Proficiency in English. Proficiency in other languages especially Dutch, is a plus.
What we offer:
- Deltares offers a market conform salary. Scaling will be based on your experience;
- An informal, dynamic and challenging working environment;
- Excellent training opportunities for personal and professional growth;
- ABP average salary pension, 34 days of vacation, vitality budget and a mobility budget;
- Working from home is well facilitated;
- Our Campus in Delft contains unique facilities such as the Delta Flume and our iD-lab, an interactive data research laboratory;
- A diverse and inclusive working environment.*
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Then apply directly by uploading your CV and cover letter.
If you have any questions about the vacancy you can contact Brian de Bruin (HR Recruitment Officer; [email protected]).
*Deltares is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.