This is a GSO position that can be considered for permanent remote work, with up to 20% travel per year to Medair locations.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. 80% to 100%, open-ended contract.
The Infrastructure & Wash Advisor assists in strengthening, supporting and standardizing the technical quality of Medair’s Infrastructure and WASH sector programming at field and GSO levels to ensure international and Medair standards. Offer strategic and technical advice to GSO and country programs, as well as training and coaching.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.GSO advisors provide technical advice and support to management and project staff, deliver training and ensure quality programming. Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate technical aspects of the country programme activities. Coordinate and network with global clusters and other NGOs, providing capacity building for national and international staff, championing best practice (international and Medair). Advise on assessment and survey design for existing and new project areas.
Key Activity Areas
Strategy Development and Policy
- Develop the infrastructure component of the WASH strategy.
- Assist country programmes in the development, integration and implementation of strategic infrastructure elements of the WASH strategy.
- Develop metrics for portfolio (sectorally: WASH, health, …) /comprehensive measurement of the infrastructure elements of the programme.
- With other sector advisers, assist with developing related organizational policy.
- Research and stay informed on academic, technical issues and public policy.
- Assist country programmes in developing and reviewing new infrastructures related to country programme policies or guidelines; follow minutes of relevant clusters where operational in delegated countries.
- Attend relevant conferences to keep abreast of current engineering best practices and new initiatives.
Quality Management and Promotion of Best Practices
- Produce or review relevant country specific WASH program intervention logic, infrastructure designs, drafting, structural engineering drawings for clinics, water reservoirs and WASH related infra structure, bridges, community buildings etc.
- Provide timely and evidence-based advice to field teams in delegated programmes on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide technical engineering and WASH advice to Heads of Country Programmes and country programme technical staff on the infrastructure aspects of projects at all key points, including needs assessment, programme design, new proposal review, implementation, monitoring & evaluation, report submission, etc.
- Travel to field locations to support and advise country programmes.
- Work with Governments, relevant statutory authorities or other institutions on standards / compliance for WASH and infrastructure projects; maintain database of engineering codes per country programme.
- Support HR in the recruitment of suitable sector-specific staff including the screening of CVs, ROC presentations and interviews, GSO briefings and other activities as required.
- Support the delivery of WASH, Shelter and Infrastructure Workshops from specific sectors of IRS & NRS staffs.
- Act as the sectoral focal point for WASH and infrastructure/ construction engineering matters for assigned countries, and strengthen Medair’s sectoral capacity and professionalism; encourage research and improve coherence between infrastructure projects across country programmes, to inform and improve programming.
- Be available to speak at professional conferences; review/ write technical articles for inclusion in specialist publications; assist GSO’s M&R team by reviewing all communications relating to Infrastructure projects.
- Support the GSO Emergency response team in events of acute emergencies with related infrastructure needs.
- Develop ideas or incorporate the latest trends in the sector to improve processes, procedures and/or resources that will improve outcomes for the people we serve.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc in Structural Engineering or Civil Engineering (with strong structural background). Licenses / chartered engineer (or equivalent).
- MSc in Structural Engineering, Water Engineering or similar qualifications will be desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of English (speaking and writing). French or Arabic desirable.
- 5 years’ professional experience and strong knowledge of construction in the global south humanitarian/ development settings or 8 years’ professional experience in Shelter, WASH and Infrastructure.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a humanitarian setting (or through short-term consultancies etc.)
- AutoCAD or similar, Google Earth, Finite element software.
- 3D drawing using Revit, Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis desirable.
- Demonstrated training skills. Proven writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in civil/ structural engineering design in a humanitarian setting.
- Experience of conducting field operational research.
- Tactful, high level communication, team building and interpersonal skills.
- Strong people-centred management expertise.
- Capable to develop and motivate people in a servant and supportive manner.
- Knowledgeable of inter-cultural differences.
- Good self-perception and self-control. Highly flexible and resistant to stress.