Council for Watershed Health (CWH) is a non-profit organization founded over 25 years ago by Dorothy Green to advance the health and sustainability of our region’s watersheds, rivers, streams and habitats – both in natural areas and urban neighborhoods. We do this through science-based research, education, and inclusive stakeholder engagement.
CWH is hiring an Assistant Operations Manager to assist in the business and personnel administration and financial management of our non-profit organization. We are seeking a well-rounded, adaptable, and creative individual to assist with the implementation of GAAP, co-manage human resources, coordinate office operations. This position will also assist the Executive Director with CWH Board of Director administration tasks. The Assistant Operations Manager will collaborate closely with senior management to analyze organizational processes and practices for opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiency, and implementing strategies to strengthen the organization. This position will report to our Director of Finance and Operations on operations, human resources, and finance related activities, and to our Executive Director on board related activities. The Assistant Operations Manager will join a multi-disciplinary team dedicated to advancing the mission of CWH and committed to implementing equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work and organizational processes. The ideal candidate will have skills to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, demonstrated experience effectively implementing GAAP, relevant experience working in a non-profit organization, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have competency in the following responsibilities.
Accounting and Budgeting
· Assist with processing accounts payable, check run, and disbursement
· Produce reports in QuickBooks Online as needed
· Track income, pledges and expenses in QuickBooks Online
· Assist in the development of budgets and project budget tracking
· Deposit checks
· Assist in the review of staff timesheets, employee reimbursement requests, and sick and vacation time accrual (monthly)
· Assist Director of Finance and accountant with preparations for annual audit(s) and tax form filings
· Assist Director of Finance and accountant in ensuring all staff comply with CWH accounting policies and procedures
· Coordinate new employee recruitment and on-boarding records
· Administer human resources records, including on-boarding and offboarding processes and records
· Assist with intern and fellow program recruitment
· Assist with health insurance open enrollment and related notices distribution, including other
employee benefits information
· Coordinate and lead human resources program training, education, and compliance
· Maintain and update administrative and accounting policy and procedural guides
· Maintain knowledge of trends in HR area of responsibility and review literature to understand key issues
· Represent CWH in a professional manner as the first point of contact
· Keep Pasadena office tidy, organized, and presentable, including equipment upkeep
· Sort and deliver incoming mail and emails and voicemails
· Coordinate with building management team on day-to-day office issues
· Manage office lease renewal
· Maintain and trouble-shoot organization-wide phone system
· Track assignment of computers/equipment to staff. Support information technology service needs and troubleshooting
· Monitor operational subscriptions and supply inventory, and renew/order software icenses/supplies
· Maintain and organize computer drives and files
· Manage, proposals, and solicitations from vendors for services, including internet, telephone,
accounting, information technology, insurance, and others
· Recommend changes in current office practices and procedures to optimize effectiveness and efficiency
CWH Board Coordination
· Assist Executive Director and Director of Finance with preparation and distribution of meeting materials to board members, committee members
· Track, update, and organize board of director related documents
· Draft meeting minutes and distribute for review/editing
· Maintain and update new board member orientation materials
· Schedule meetings with board members, committees
· Coordinate all-staff meetings
· Communicate administrative updates to staff
· Time may be devoted to other department’s administrative needs, per approval of supervisor
· Assist with event planning and operations
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor or on an as-needed basis
• Minimum 3 years of professional experience with nonprofit accounting and QuickBooks Online and/or similar accounting software
• Minimum 2 years of professional experience in human resources, office operations, and executive administration in a nonprofit organization
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow multi-step institutional procedures, prioritize and carry out multiple tasks
• Effective time management skills with the ability to multi-task with a team approach
• Meticulous attention to accuracy and strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to maintain professional composure under stress and deadlines, and to adhere to high standards of confidentiality
• Must display the highest level of integrity, flexibility and adaptability, innovative thinking and ability to develop relationships across the organization
• Proficiency in MS Office, QuickBooks
• A valid CA driver’s license and/or the ability to travel to locations outside of the office
Salary: $55,000-$62,000 annual salary, Full-time, Exempt, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health/Dental/Vision, retirement plan with employer contribution, vacation/sick, and Metro transit pass, professional development opportunities.
Location: Currently remote with option to work in Pasadena and other WeWork offices throughout LA County
Hours: 40 hours/ week; occasional evenings and weekends
Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis beginning the week of April 25, 2022
CWH is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering an inclusive workplace.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran, disability status, or any
other bias prohibited by applicable law. CWH strongly encourages people from underrepresented communities to apply.
Health/Dental/Vision, retirement plan with employer contribution, vacation/sick/holidays and Metro transit pass, professional development opportunities.
Apply to This Job
Please provide cover letter, resume, three references, and a representative writing sample .