Requisition ID: req27255
Job Title: Environmental Health (EH) Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Adama, Ethiopia
Background: The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
JOB OVERVIEW/SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health (EH) Officer the position holder will be primarily responsible site level planning and Monitoring IRC water supply and sanitation facilities construction, rehabilitation, and contract administration. The job holder also supports and supervise construction activities that subcontracted to local contractor, handle skilled and unskilled labor, monitor water tracking and construction materials, equipment and other resources under the project and reports periodically.
- Provide technical support at site level in rehabilitation and/or new construction of water facilities including motorized borehole, shallow wells, and rainwater roof harvesting systems, and construction of sanitation facilities.
- Closely follow up and monitor water tracking activities operationally and quality of water at source, distribution, and consumption points by conducting chlorine residual test and act if needed as per the World Health Organization guideline.
- Register and collect daily Residual chlorine test reading for water track and report to supervisor in weekly basis.
- Train and guide water track monitor on water quality testing at source, and dumping and follow up the daily registration of the chlorine residual test reading
- Ensure that all construction materials, tools/equipment, and machineries are available for each work as per the specification quality and quantity.
- Undertake regular field supervising visits to assess progress on projects, support staff, and identify technical and implementation issues. Propose solutions to issues, potential improvements, and take action as the need arises to ensure projects meet international standards.
- Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction sites by the contractors and/or suppliers.
- Evaluates and verifies contractor employee quality, performance through review of undergoing and completed work assignments and work techniques.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of contractor employees.
- Inspects all WASH construction works and make on time correction and rectification actions to defected constructions.
- Organize and conduct trainings covering Emergency WASH and water quality monitoring at facility level.
- Follow accurate safety procedures and ensure safe working environment and act before any health or safety risk occur.
- Coordinate data and information, prepare, and maintain records, documents, and control plans for the monitoring of projects implementation and follow project activities as per the monitoring tools.
- Supervise and ensure proper management by water committees in Operation and maintenance of the schemes.
- Ensure accurate application of IRC policies, and procedures in IRC field offices including donor regulations and government policies.
- Train water user associations on basic water scheme management care and project sustainability.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and submit to the supervisor on the work progress of water supply activities.
- Ensure that projects are completed on schedule, according to contractual conditions, within budget, and with adherence to high standards of quality construction.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisors
- Education: BSc Degree/Diploma in Water Supply, Construction, Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or related field from universities or colleges.
- Work Experience: Minimum experience of 0-year experience for BSc holders and 2 years’ experience for Diploma holders. NGO experience is plus.
Skills and competencies:
- NGO experience is advantageous special on WASH projects.
- Good skill in handling construction site.
- Mobilizing community to contribute during construction.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skill.
- Good command spoken and written English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo.
- Knowledge of Afaan Oromo is required
- Preference will be given to qualified female candidates.