Description of assignment title: WASH Specialist
Assignment country: Uganda
Expected start date; 01/06/2022
Sustainable Development Goal: 6. Clean water and sanitation
Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
Host entity: UNICEF
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments: 1
Duty stations: Kampala
Mission and objectives
UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favouritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfil their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
The position will be based in Kampala at the Unicef Uganda Country Office within the Child Survival and Development section under the supervision of WASH Manager. The UNV WASH Specialist will contribute to the strengthening of the Karamoja WASH in Schools program in Uganda. The UNV WASH Specialist will be working closely with the NGO partners in Karamoja region implementing the WASH in Schools programme.
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Manager the UN WASH Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide technical support to UNICEF Kampala office to manage the KOICA funded WASH in School programme in Karamoja effectively and efficiently. Specifically,
• Support the WASH Unit to undertake procurement for the WASH in school Infrastructure in a timely and quality manner;
• Collect and prepare WASH in school programme reports for the donor including monitoring and reviewing budgets for the programme;
• Co-ordinate and support exchange visits and learning events between the Uganda programme team and Korean counterparts;
• Conduct regular field monitoring visit to project sites in Karamoja region;
• Assist in the preparation of technical documents relevant for the WASH in schools that could be used for the visibility for the program
• Coordination with UNICEF Uganda Office and KOICA Office in Kampala.
- Provide technical support to the Moroto Zonal Office to develop capacities related to WASH in schools.
• Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective implementation of the KOICA funded WASH in schools programme;
• Participate in inter-sectoral collaboration with other programme colleagues, Education, Health, Nutrition and Local Government to identify priority needs and appropriate strategies;
• Undertake support supervision of the programme activities in the field.
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive water, Sanitation and hygiene programme in Karamoja region.
• Strengthen the knowledge of WASH teams by providing support to implementation of the WASH in schools interventions with focus on adolescent and disability aspects of WASH programming;
• Assist in enhancing programme efficiency and effectiveness through evidence-based approaches and implementation follow-up.
- Document results and best-practices and enhance knowledge management.
• Document results and lessons learned from WASH programme implementation and promote knowledge sharing among counterparts and WASH stakeholders;
• Participate in preparation and delivery of WASH in Schools technical outcomes during fundraising, scoping, development and implementation phases of WASH initiatives.
- Provide support to KOICA and UNICEF to manage the local training, invitational training in Korea, and reporting in Korean.
• Prepare necessary procedure for the invitational training in Republic of Korea including support to KOICA to select training institution for the training, support to needs assessment to training participants and documentation, technical support to the selected training institution for developing training curriculum and implementation based on consultation with KOICA and UNICEF, and any other necessary duties;
• Write a monthly report including in Korean, which includes progress of work plan, performance indicators, budget execution and etc. for the KOICA funded WASH in School programme in Karamoja;
• The efficiency and efficacy of the support provided by the UN Volunteer to the WASH program will facilitate the delivery of concrete and sustainable results in the WASH sector. The support provided to the WASH in Schools program will directly impact the improvement of health for the most vulnerable and marginalized children
• Ensures the programme produces the results specified in the programme document, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
• Effective delivery of project results;
• Knowledge management and document
• A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
Age: 27 – 80
Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in Demonstrated experience in WASH sector at national and international levels in programme management, monitoring and evaluation, Knowledge of policies and program management in post crisis situations, managing projects/programmes with multiple donor partners, mainstreaming gender equality, conflict sensitivity and human rights in designing and implementing related projects including monitoring and reporting on these cross-cutting themes and SDGs;
Demonstrated interest in Results Based Management (RBM), monitoring and evaluation, planning, evaluation, statistics and/or research methodologies is required;
Demonstrated experience in report writing in Korean language.
Area(s) of expertise: Engineering and construction
Driving license: –
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Korean, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Master degree or equivalent in Civil engineering, , Water and environmental management, Public health, Social sciences, Political science or other WASH related field.
Competencies and values
• Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
• Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
• Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
• Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure.
• Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
• Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations.
• Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments.