Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Technical Assistant position is to liaise and work closely with WASH department in implementing the WASH projects. The Technical assistant is expected to be able to deliver hygiene promotion trainings as well as attending in various type of distributions. It is also noteworthy that the incumbent is expected to have sound Engineering knowledge and be able to operate surveying tools and equipment such as tablets, GPS, Level, Transit, and Theodolites etc.
As a part of WASH Technical Assistant’s responsibilities, He/she will be asked to design WASH facilities and would be able to monitor construction activities such as construction of Water points, Septic Tanks, Latrines, Menstruation Hygiene rooms etc.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the WASH portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
Specific responsibilities :
- Have full understanding of all programs’ goals, objectives, implementation plan and expected result / output.
- Participate in NRC staff and seminars and training, when scheduled
- Operate field equipment.
- Work closely with all WASH projects stakeholders.
- Keeping on track recording of training data and program documents.
- Coordinate closely his or her activities with WASH Coordinator.
- Assist WASH Coordinator/WASH PM on planning, organizing, facilitating and monitoring of projects.
- Be willing to travel throughout the districts and other provinces, this is primarily a field position and will require physical activity in a range of demanding natural environments and conditions.
- Any others tasks assigned by supervisor /WASH Coordinator.
Generic professional competencies:
- 1-3 years’ experience from working as a WASH Technical Assistant/WASH Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Knowledge and experience within a relevant administration, craft or technical field and ideally a relevant vocational qualification
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English Language.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrated experience in conducting rapid emergency assessments in projects.
- Experience of working in WASH project (water supply, Sanitation facilities, Hygiene Promotion).
- Experience in working in insecure/conflict environments.
- Experience in working in rural area.
- Manage time effectively, prioritizing tasks and able to work to deadlines.
- Good cultural, social, political and security knowledge of the area.
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills with strong experience.
- Working knowledge of English language
- Computer skills.
- Work confidently within a group.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering.
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Empowering and building trust
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
- NRC has medical coverage for staff plus 4 dependents.
- Eid Bonus once per year.
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labour Law.
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis