Are you passionate about both emerging technology and protecting the environment? Are you up for the challenge of identifying breakthroughs in science, technology, and policy and developing projects to identify solutions to enhance environmental performance? If yes, then the Environmental Law Institute needs you as our Lead, Technology & Innovation Lab Programs.
WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING EXACTLY?
As a part of ELI’s Research & Policy team, you would support ELI’s Innovation Lab and Technology and the Environment programs. You would be responsible for varied project and program assignments in collaboration with more senior research and policy staff including, but not limited to, project management, research tasks, writing, outreach, and support for fundraising activities. More specifically the Program Lead will:
• Performs research, analytical writing, and presents findings related to research programs
• Continually evaluate the goals and progress of the ELI Innovation Lab and technology programs with ELI’s Executive Team.
• Provides guidance, training, and support to junior staff
• Reaches out to constituents and represents the Institute publicly as needed to communicate and foster particular programs and projects
• Collaborate with senior staff to secure sufficient funding to carry out high quality programs and projects
• In the capacity as a project manager, an employee in this position is responsible for performing, assigning, and supervising delegated project tasks
• Ensure Innovation Lab and technology initiatives adhere to project budgets and manage Lab related grant administration
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO THRIVE IN THIS ROLE?
Having a J.D., Master’s, or equivalent degree will be essential in thriving in this position. You should also have at least 1 year of experience in an environmental management and policy field. Fluency in a foreign language would be an asset for you, but it isn’t required.
The Research & Policy department is collaborative by nature and the Program Lead must be able to interact in a professional manner with people from diverse racial, ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We employ anti-racist practices and principles while striving to support ELI’s culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Other skills needed but not limited to include:
• Broad knowledge of and experience in sustainability issues related to emerging technologies and/or community science.
• Identify niche opportunities for research and education and design and implement projects to advance technological solutions for environmental protection.
• Excellent skills in research, analytical writing, and verbal communication including public speaking
• Solid skills in outreach and communications, including social media and website content.
• Proficiency with standard office software, including Microsoft Office as well as the ability to work across organizations and manage collaborate workspaces such as Slack, Asana, and Microsoft Teams.
• Ability to actively participate in all aspects of project-based grants, including grant writing and pursuit and the effective administration of awarded grants.
• Demonstrated ability to:
o represent ELI publicly in a manner consistent with our mission and values
o manage people and projects effectively and efficiently while producing high quality deliverables within budget
o collaborate effectively with others
o establish and adhere to deadlines
o effectively manage multiple projects and establish priorities with moderate supervision
WHO IS ELI?
The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is a research, publishing, and education “think and do” tank that makes law work for people, places, and the planet. We envision a healthy environment, prosperous economies, and vibrant communities founded on the rule of law. Our mission is to foster innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable leaders across borders and sectors to make environmental, economic, and social progress.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM ELI?
The annual salary for this position starts at $55,000 and is commensurate with experience. ELI’s total compensation includes excellent benefits including:
• Health/Dental/Vision insurance
• Flexible Spending Account
• Employer-paid life insurance & disability insurance
• Long Term Care insurance
• Pre-tax transportation benefit
• Fitness Incentive
• 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
• Paid time off
READY TO APPLY? HERE’S HOW…
Submit an application package via ELI’s online application system. Simply visit https://www.eli.org/employment to get started. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
• Cover letter, addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
• Current resume.
• writing sample demonstrating analytical ability
Candidates passing the initial applicant screening process will be requested to provide references.
ELI will accept applications for this position until 11:59 pm EST Friday, May 20, 2022. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled prior to the closing deadline. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery.
Please note that to ensure the health and safety of the ELI workforce, any offer of employment from ELI is contingent on candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. ELI management will consider requests for religious or medical exceptions, consistent with applicable law.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.