HR Wallingford provides world-leading independent analysis, advice and support in engineering and environmental hydraulics and the management of water and the water environment. We have an exciting opportunity for an Earth Observation (EO) specialist to join our friendly and inclusive team and be part of a growing and significant part of our business.
Our Flood and Water Management team has a reputation for delivering high solutions across water management disciplines, both in the UK and internationally. Join us if you want to make a difference and enjoy a challenge.
This is an opportunity for you to support our growing portfolio of research and consultancy projects. You will work at the heart of two high profile projects that are (a) developing a dengue fever early warning system for Vietnam, and (b) using remote sensing technologies to more effectively monitor tailings dams in Peru.
We are recruiting to support our growth in the EO downstream market. You can contribute to this growth by helping us to find and win more downstream EO applications projects and build relationships with our potential clients.
- You will have great verbal and written communication skills and be able to work collaboratively and cooperatively with colleagues and clients.
- You will be able to manage and make a positive contribution to a small team, but also be able to work independently with limited supervision.
- You will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and able operate using your own initiative.
- You will take responsibility for assigned projects and be able to handle multiple tasks.
- You will have extensive experience in EO technologies and techniques (10+ years).
- You are likely to have post graduate qualifications in geomatics, physical geography, environmental science, applied remote sensing or related fields, as well as an awareness of evolving and innovative EO technologies and techniques.
- You will be able to generate ideas and concepts for new and innovative EO-enabled products, solutions and services.
- You will have expertise in the applied use of SAR and/or optical EO data, preferably in a commercial environment.
- You will also be familiar with software such as ERDAS, IDRISI, ENVI, ESRI, NEST and Sentinel-1 toolbox including relevant programming skills (e.g. Python, C/C++, R).
You might also have the following desirable skills, though we are most interested in enthusiasm, motivation and a desire to learn:
- Commercially aware and able to identify potential risk areas.
- Experience of remote sensing in water related applications.
- Excellent skills in optical and SAR image analysis and data visualisation.
- Experience of big data and/or machine learning techniques.
About the role
- You will be involved in business development and bid preparation for research and consultancy projects.
- You will provide expertise in EO and close engagement in cutting-edge development projects.
- You will work collaboratively with your colleagues and provide guidance and mentoring in the area of EO.
- You will help to generate concepts for new and innovative EO-enabled products, solutions and services, defining our technical roadmap and strategic direction.
- Your will use your specialist expertise to provide input in to research, innovation and technical development work that implements EO-enabled solutions.
- Finally, you will need to effectively manage your own time and that of others.
Please note that this is a 24-month fixed term contract, with potential to extend.
This role is based at our head office at Howbery Park near Wallingford, in Oxfordshire, United Kingdom.
We are committed to recruiting and retaining staff of the highest calibre. We offer a stimulating working environment with competitive salaries commensurate with experience. We also offer an excellent benefits package that includes: a defined contribution pension scheme; at least 22 days holiday plus three days company holiday plus eight bank holidays, flexible working hours which allows for leave to be taken subject to hours accrued and business needs; access to a staff restaurant, as well as an on-campus sports and social club.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter, clearly stating the vacancy of interest, to or contact Sharon Draper, Personnel Advisor, HR Wallingford, Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 8BA, United Kingdom. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying, and relate your experience and academic background to this role.
Closing date Friday 5 April 2019.
HR Wallingford is an equal opportunities employer.
Privacy notice for job applicants
Read our Privacy notice for job applicants (.pdf) to read on how we collect and process the personal data you may provide us when you apply for a job with us through our websites, or by any other means. This notice also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.