Result of Service
The individual contractor will submit monthly updates, listing key activities and timeline as per below:
- Activities and main achievements related to support provided to processes related to the preparations of the 2022 UN Ocean Conference, especially steps taken to engage stakeholders from different sectors.
- Activities and main achievements undertaken to support DSDG stakeholders’ participation in intergovernmental and other online events including number of meetings supported and tasks performed.
- Monthly summary of webinars and online events organized, including outreach impact.
- Activities and main achievements related to support provided to the UN 2023 Water Conference related processes, especially steps taken to engage stakeholders from different sectors.
- Main tasks performed to support outreach and social media engagement, including specific campaigns and outreach efforts undertaken.
- Updated file with the process related to the preparations of the 2023 ECOSOC Partnership Forum, especially steps taken to engage stakeholders from different sectors.
The individual contractor will work on/off UNHQ premises.
The contractor will be engaged for an estimated total of six months.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Political Declaration of the 2019 SDG (A/RES/74/4) Summit stresses the urgent need for concerted, accelerated action by all stakeholders at all levels to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG) has been undertaken a series of activities in this regard. DSDG also supports stakeholders’ participation in a series of intergovernmental events and processes related to sustainable development and the SDGs, including the Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum); the 2022 UN Ocean Conference (June 2022), the UN 2023 Water Conference (March 2023) the ECOSOC Partnership Forum (February 2022) and others.
COVID-19 has impacted on the way DESA has been organizing and convening stakeholders and increased the demand on the organization of hybrid sessions (including in-person and virtual sessions), including webinars and capacity building meetings. Setting up and improving systems, tools and methodologies for the organization of online events is a critical need for the Outreach and Partnership Branch (OPB) and the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG).
The purpose of the individual contract is to support the stakeholder engagement, including global platforms and intergovernmental events with a focus on the preparatory process for the 2022 UN Ocean Conference, the UN 2023 Water Conference and the 2023 ECOSOC Partnership Forum.
Working under the direction of DESA/DSDG, the individual contractor will carry out the following tasks:
- Support stakeholder engagement processes related to the 2022 UN Ocean Conference scheduled to take place in Lisbon, Portugal from 27 June to 01 July 2022, including setting up dedicated forms and messages related to speaking opportunities for stakeholders, reviewing submissions and preparing preliminary lists of recommended speakers, contacting selected speakers, collecting, reviewing written submissions and preparing them for online publication.
The individual contractor will assist with drafting information notes to stakeholders considering their access to the Conference Venue, meeting rooms, etc. The individual contractor will coordinate the side-events, including by reviewing proposals against agreed selection criteria, preparing lists of recommended proposals and following up with applicants regarding the organization of the proposed side events.
- Support DSDG stakeholders’ participation in intergovernmental and other online events supported by DSDG, including setting up registration forms, preparing scenarios and promotional materials, following-up with speakers, preparing and analysing feedback surveys, updating website and YouTube account with webinar materials and managing virtual events in different platforms.
The individual contractor will prepare guidance notes with key recommendations for hosting online events in WebEx, Zoom and MS Teams, focusing on OPB’s work, Will maintain stats of virtual events to be submitted to DSDG front office on a regular basis.
- Support stakeholder engagement processes related to the 2023 UN Water Conference, including drafting of information newsletters, organizing online briefings, drafting information notes related to the Special accreditation and registration process, drafting online consultation forms and summary reports.
- Support with information, outreach and social media engagement, including by supporting on the development of digital cards, tweets messages and Facebook posts as well as general information emails about specific events and webinars aiming to promote DSDG activities with stakeholders from different sectors, including forthcoming intergovernmental events and Conferences.
- Support the preparatory process for the 2023 ECOSOC Partnership Forum, mainly strategies and activities related to the engagement of stakeholders from different sectors, including organization of stakeholder webinars and meetings, drafting of concept notes, setting up of registration forms, information sharing, notetaking, drafting summaries of stakeholder related events and other related tasks.
- Perform other related duties as required.
• A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Political Science, International Relations, Sustainable Development or related field.
• Computer literacy, including knowledge of online survey tools (proficiency in the use of MS Windows office applications, Internet search), experience with producing info graphics is an advantage.
• A minimum of one (1) year of progressively responsible experience on communication preferably in an international organization, is desirable but not required.
• Experience managing virtual events and platforms (including WebEx, Zoom, MS Teams and others) will be an asset.
• Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment.
• Experience working under minimum supervision and tight deadlines.
• Prior experience with UN Secretariat, UN agencies, other multilateral or bilateral agencies or NGOs will be an asset.
• Knowledge of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the United Nations also would be useful. Candidates based in New York would be preferred, but candidates based outside of New York will also be considered.
• Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this job posting, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN Language is an advantage.
The consultant will be paid in line with the fee range of a Level A consultant as per
ST/AI/2013/4. The exact fee will be determined based on the expertise of the consultant as
indicated in the Personal History Profile. Payment will be made on a monthly basis upon
certification of successful completion of the respective assignments as per below performance
indicators. Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.