About the role
We are looking for a Specialist Hydrogeologist to join our Water Resource Evaluation (WRE) team to provide groundwater management support, guidance and direction to iron ore mining operations and expansion studies. The position is integral to the ongoing management of water-related risk to our operations in the Pilbara and encompasses a diverse array of activities spanning Greenfields developments and operational support.
This role is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual. Working a 5 days on, 2 off roster based in Perth but with ad hoc travel to the Pilbara, the role reports to the Superintendent Hydrogeology. You will be responsible for:
- The development of dewatering and water management strategies to meet the mine plan and study requirements including mine closure;
- Risk assessing the impact of changes to mine plans on groundwater management strategies;
- Supporting environmental approval processes for both Brownfields extensions and Greenfields developments,
- Validation and quality assurance of internal and regulatory groundwater reporting;
- Generating scoping investigations and scopes of work that design and define dewatering, depressurisation and monitoring bore requirements and test pumping;
- Providing technical, safety and project management oversight of hydrogeological field programmes;
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal stakeholders;
- Mentoring junior hydrogeologists.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Tertiary Geology or Geoscience qualification
- Significant demonstrated experience in hydrogeology/hydrology in industry, consulting or regulators
- Commitment to health, safety and environment, promoting positive behaviour and a supportive safety culture through visible leadership.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Post-graduate qualifications in hydrogeology
Where you will be working
In the Perth CBD, Central Park. In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Watch for more information about our Pioneering business: https://youtu.be/XPZQJ34-84w
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn