The Natural Resources Technician works on a variety of projects in support of the Wiyot Tribe’s Natural Resources Department (WNRD), requiring willingness to perform technical, scientific, educational and labor related activities as directed by supervisor(s). The position assists the WNRD in the completion of tasks outlined in a variety of federal and state grants including, but not limited to, the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) General Assistance Program (GAP), Clean Water Act (CWA) §106 Water Pollution Control Program, CWA §319 Nonpoint Source Pollution Control Program, and United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) Tribal Wildlife Grant (TWG). This position also requires working closely with the Natural Resources Director and Specialist on direction of these and other programs for both the Table Bluff Reservation community and other regional partners.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist WNRD staff with the collection of data, literature, and other pertinent information related to Departmental programs such as water quality, botany/ethnobotany, fisheries/wildlife, renewable energy, indoor air quality.
- Assist with the development and implementation of programs such as water quality and biological monitoring and habitat restoration on Table Bluff Reservation, on Humboldt Bay, and in the Eel River watershed.
- Assist WNRD environmental educator(s) and Tribal staff with the development and implementation of curricula for the Wiyot Tribe’s Youth Program.
- Assist WNRD efforts to promote environmental stewardship in Wiyot Ancestral Territory through collaboration with other environmental agencies, organizations, and groups.
- College enrolled student pursuing a degree in Natural Resources or related field.
- College level training in math, science, and laboratory procedures.
- Effective communicator with residents, Tribal members and staff, and agency personnel.
- Basic experience with Microsoft software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to complete projects in a timely fashion and indicate willingness to attend trainings.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, work in inclement weather, and navigate steep, rough terrain at times.
- Valid driver’s license with ability to be insured under Tribal policy.
- Must be able to complete a background check and DOJ fingerprinting before beginning work.
- Bachelors of Science degree in a Natural Resources related field including, but not limited to, Natural Resources Sciences, Fisheries, Wildlife, Botany, Biology, Chemistry, Geology.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position is seasonal and is expected to last for approximately 6 months though may be extended dependent on future departmental funding.
- Full time positions include paid medical, dental, vision for the employee and dependents following 30-days of employment in addition to vacation and sick time accrual (4 hours/pay period).
- All applicants are subject to the Tribe’s Drug and Alcohol Free Work Place Policy including pre-employment and random drug screening.
- Must possess a California Driver’s license and clean driving record to be insurable through the Tribe’s insurance agency.
- Must pass a comprehensive background check.
- Overnight travel for work or training may be expected
- When necessary, may be required to lift objects up 50 pounds.
- The Wiyot Tribe offers a hiring preference to qualified Native American applicants. Proof of tribal membership is required to receive the hiring preference.
- Employees of the Wiyot Tribe are considered “at-will” employees and at any time either party can terminate the relationship with no liability.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Job Application (found on the Tribe’s website: http://wiyot.us/Jobs.aspx)
Please submit completed application packets no later than Tuesday, March 19th at 4:00 pm