River Restoration Project Manager
Purpose of the job
Thames21 is offering a rare opportunity for an experienced project manager to lead the implementation and development of an established river restoration programme.
If you have a track record in delivering river restoration and/or habitat improvement projects, working with consultants and contractors and in partnership with multiple public and private partners we would be interested in hearing from you. You will be technically strong and adept at managing complex budgets and reporting to funders. You will have confidence and credibility, and be able to engage and influence a variety of stakeholders.
In recently years Thames21 has been working with a wide range of partners to develop a number of river restoration projects. This has been very successful and in 2019 a number of these projects move into the delivery stage. We’ve also got a number of other projects which have successfully gained funding and we are looking to develop and implement them over the next 2-3 years. Current projects which this role will be delivering include restoring in the region of 6km of river and 5ha of wetlands. Finally we’ve also identified a number of other projects in early development stage which we plan to develop over the coming years to a point whereby we can implement them. In time we see this role expanding both in length of the contract and role to include the management of a small team, developing and delivering river and wetland restoration projects across and surrounding London including urban and rural catchments. This will be dependent upon the successful candidates preference.
This role is a key position to implementing a wide range of programmes throughout Thames21’s Improving Rivers Portfolio and developing this portfolio to significantly improve the rivers and catchments we work on. This work will include working with a range of partners specific to projects and associated agreement.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Work with Thames21’s Improving Rivers Manager and local stakeholders such as catchment partnerships, councils, friends of groups etc. to develop and deliver river and wetland restoration projects throughout the areas we work.
- Develop detailed plans for the river and wetland restoration in consultation with local and expert stakeholders, meeting local needs and ecological objectives.
- Obtain all necessary permissions to deliver the projects, potentially including flood defence consent and planning permission.
- Ensure that the development and implementation of the works are well integrated into wider programmes such as the Land of the Fanns programme and catchment partnerships.
- Work with project partners to develop and manage tender processes for works which require the use of contractors, the tender processes will need to meet relevant requirements for project partners and funders.
- Manage contractors to implement projects so they achieve the maximise benefits.
- Using a range of monitoring tools to record and quantify the impact of different activities. Ensuring this data is captured correctly and presented to the programme funder, to potential future project funders and available to other relevant parties.
- Updating Thames21 data bases and records such as ThankQ
- Support project officers in the development and delivery of restoration projects, which they can deliver
- Input to the strategic development of Thames21’s work particularly the Improving Rivers Portfolio
- This job description cannot cover every issue or task that may arise within the post at various times and the post-holder will be expected to carry out other reasonable duties from time to time which are broadly consistent with other Thames21 activities with those in this document.
Applications close on Tuesday 19th March 2019, Interviews scheduled for Wednesday 27th March 2019.