The USAID-funded Regional Water and Vulnerable Environment Activity (WAVE) project in Central Asia, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development, is currently accepting expressions of interest for an Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) expert position. This position will be remote.
This is an international/regional expert position for conducting analysis of advanced approaches and methods for sustainable water management at the river basin level with a Level of Effort (LOE) of 40 workdays during the period from May through July 2022.
* Study current institutional and legislative structures of water management in Uzbekistan and present a concise and logically focused description (this study is to be conducted based on the available materials/desk review), including: i) reviewing the explanatory notes prepared by the national expert and identifying issues that require more detailed analysis or comparison with best cases from other countries regarding promotion of IWRM principles (including the river basin planning approach) and the water-energy-food-environment (WEFE) Nexus approach; ii) working jointly with the national expert to prepare a concise and logically focused description of Uzbekistan’s institutional and legislative setup for water management and presenting the final version to the Activity’s team; and iii) submitting the final version of the study to the Activity’s team and the Ministry of Water Resources (MWR) of Uzbekistan.
* Review (desk study) and prepare an analytical report on advanced/best approaches, methods, practices, and regulations related to sustainable water resources management at river basin level and on the benefits of the WEFE Nexus approach, with samples/cases from the Central Asia region and international experiences, including: i) studying existing advanced/best approaches, methods, practices, and regulations related to sustainable water resources management at the river basin level and on the benefits of implementing the Nexus approach that could be applied to Uzbekistan’s conditions; ii) preparing an analytical note and recommendations for implementing these practices in Uzbekistan based on materials reviewed and works carried out by the national expert; and iii) submitting the final version of the analysis to the Activity’s team and the Ministry of Water Resources of Uzbekistan.
* Prepare an analysis comparing Uzbekistan and best cases in other countries to identify gaps, shortcomings, and obstacles in Uzbekistan’s water management sphere; and develop recommendations for improving the situation, with particular focus on institutional and legislative aspects and reflecting the WEFE Nexus approach, including: i) preparing an analysis of gaps in Uzbekistan’s water management sphere affecting full implementation of IWRM principles and the Nexus approach based on studies and materials prepared during implementation of Tasks 1 and 2; and ii) developing recommendations for improving the situation, with particular focus on the institutional and legislative aspects of water management and reflecting the WEFE Nexus approach.
* Present the findings/results of studies and analyses to the Activity and the Ministry of Water Resources (MWR) of Uzbekistan and submit a final report based on relevant feedback, including: i) preparing a presentation to deliver the results of the conducted analyses within Tasks 1, 2, and 3 to the representatives of the MWR Uzbekistan and other stakeholders; ii) attending and delivering a presentation at the round table organized by the Activity to demonstrate the results of work carried out, including the developed recommendations; iii) finalizing all the analytical documents prepared within Tasks 1, 2, and 3 while taking into account comments and suggestions from the MWR Uzbekistan and the Activity; and iv) assisting the national expert in preparing the texts of legislative clauses and/or regulatory act(s) (including a sample Regulation on Basin Councils) for presentation to the MWR Uzbekistan as a result of the round table.
* Minimum Master of Science degree in natural/water resources management or related fields
* At least ten (10) years of working experience related to natural/water resources management, development of legal-regulatory acts on issues related to water and natural resources
* Successful experience with thematic working groups, similar projects, and international organizations.
* Practical experience in preparing analytical reviews, materials, documents in the field of water relations, drafting laws, internal documents, and other regulations. Analytical and practical experience in the field of IWRM and WEFE Nexus.
* Good command of oral and written English and/or Russian languages
* Strong sense of responsibility; willingness to take the initiative; excellent communication and analytical capabilities.
* Computer (MS Windows, MS Word, MS Excel) and official correspondence skills.
* Ability to work in a team with a special load
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and submit only the requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.