Job Posting: 14/Apr/2022
Closure Date: 07/May/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: SFW
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Senegal-Dakar
Duration: Up to 11 months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Fisheries and Aquaculture unit of the Sub-Regional Office for West Africa (SFW) is primarily responsible for the overall identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s fisheries and aquaculture priority activities in West Africa. The strategic orientations and broad vision is to help ECOWAS member countries to promote food security, enhance livelihoods, reduce poverty and curb marginalization by the sustainable and responsible development of fisheries and aquaculture in inland and marine waters of all the 15 member countries.
International consultants and PSAs represent an important source of expertise for FAO, making their specialist contributions across the globe towards the achievement of the Organization’s strategic objectives. For FAO to be able to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced. The purpose of this call is to attract technical expertise to populate a consultant roster of fisheries and aquaculture technology experts for the West Africa region which can be called upon when their expertise is required, ensuring a transparent and rigorous selection process. Inclusion in the database does not guarantee a contract with SFW or any other FAO units. Applications will be maintained in the database for a period of two years.
The Consultants/PSAs will work under the overall supervision of the SFW Sub-Regional Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Fishery and Aquaculture Officer.
The Consultant or PSA will work on issues related to fisheries and aquaculture technologies in the West African region, in line with FAO’s Strategic Framework.
Tasks and responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities of each selected Consultant or PSA will be defined in the Terms of Reference for the specific assignment. The focus, tasks and responsibilities for each work area’s consultants may include, a number of the following elements depending on the assignment and the expertise of the Consultant:
- Provide substantive technical input for the implementation of fisheries and aquaculture new technology related projects, including the preparation of progress reports and other technical documents as required;
- Support the technical design and preparation of plans and drawings, technical instructions, procurement technical specifications and support the development of new climate friendly and sustainable fisheries and aquaculture technologies and infrastructures;
- Assist the development of detailed and budgeted concept notes and project proposals in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Framework and the FAO project cycle;
- Support the organization and participate in field missions and other events in support of the delivery of SFW Fisheries and Aquaculture programme of work, including for consultation, technical supervision and support, training and capacity building activities, and technical assistance to beneficiaries of FAO support programmes and projects;
- Contribute to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to SFW Fisheries and Aquaculture new technology areas of work, including guidelines, capacity building and training material;
- Contribute to SFW Fisheries and Aquaculture work related to resource mobilization, monitoring of regular programme expenses and organization of international meetings.
- Contribute to ensure the visibility of all the SFW Fisheries and Aquaculture work, through publication of articles, newsletters and reports and social media posts (official website, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, You Tube, Instagram).
- Perform any other duties related to the SFW fisheries and aquaculture areas of work.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in fisheries, aquaculture, climate change, engineering, architecture, IT, communications, economics, or other relevant field.
- One to four years of relevant experience in fisheries and/or aquaculture technologies, food security and livelihoods, rural development projects and programmes, for base level consultants (C level); at least five years’ relevant experience for middle level consultants (B level); and at least 12 years’ relevant experience (at least 15 for PSAs level A) for senior level consultants (A level). Preferably in SFW Fisheries and Aquaculture areas of work.
- Working knowledge of English or French and limited knowledge of the other or of Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish. For PSAs working knowledge of one FAO language is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT