The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is seeking an expert on innovative financing for water and sanitation services. The ideal candidate for this position will have a postgraduate degree in business administration, finance, economics, marketing or a related field, with 5 years of relevant work experience. Projects will be based on urban water supply, wastewater and fecal sludge management.
Knowledge and experience in international development and finance, business strategy development, public-private partnerships (PPPs) and related areas is essential. In addition, the candidate should have experience in conducting economic analyses of infrastructure projects. Relevant experience in fund raising, private sector partnerships and financial engineering is desirable. Excellent business development, client relationships, staff mentoring and management skills are essential. The person will work under the supervision of the Practice Leader for Applied Research and Knowledge Transfer.
The consultant will:
- review existing funding mechanisms, and identify opportunities for urban water supply and sanitation programs in the short to medium term;
- provide an overview of the range of potential innovative financing mechanisms to support the provision of urban water supply and sanitation services;
- develop an understanding on the necessary conditions and enabling factors that have to be fulfilled for an innovative financing initiative to be successful to support the provision of urban water supply and sanitation services in the region;
- review experiences in using innovative financing mechanisms within the urban water supply and sanitation sector in the region, from government-led to private institution-directed initiatives, as well as PPPs;
- identify key strategies and recommendations for the adoption and scaling up of potential financing mechanisms for urban water supply and sanitation services within the region;
- engage and galvanize regional organizations, governments, financial institutions and other groups to explore opportunities for implementing funding and financing instruments.
Researchers with the following qualifications are invited to apply:
- Postgraduate degree in business administration, finance, economics, marketing or related field (e.g., chartered accountancy).
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong research skills, writing, editing and verbal presentation skills.
- Strong analytical, coordination and organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team-based, client-focused environment.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, including previous experience and project assignment related to this consultancy, together with a cover letter and the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees.
Duration of the consultancy will be 2 years and the consultant will be based at IWMI’s office in New Delhi, India.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of regional and gender diversity in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally.