Intern (Environment and Climate)
Uganda’s environment is currently typified by adverse changes in wet and dry seasons. In a country where irrigation-based farming is practiced by few, diverging weather patterns have rendered year-long planning on farms nearly impossible with many farmers finding difficulty in predicting rainfall patterns. At the same time, the country’s biodiversity and natural resources are also threatened due to the interplay of climate change and human activities. The rates of deforestation, wetland loss and encroachment areas for urbanization, mining, industrialization, settlement and agriculture are alarming.
UNDP’s Environment and climate change program is working with government of Uganda and other stakeholders to develop and implement interventions designed to scale back the effects of climate change on top of helping farmers adapt to its consequences. The program also works to conserve biodiversity, especially by promoting the protection of protected areas. Emphasis has been put on forest reserves, the Albertine Rift Forests, and wetlands. Support is given to communities living around the areas to get involved in conservation activities, on top of redrawing boundaries and creating conservation strategies for the areas.
UNDP is now looking for an intern to assist with this program.
Objective of the Internship
This internship is intended to familiarize the intern with the organization’s system. It will also benefit the intern with an understanding of multidimensional activities in the field of climate resilience, environment and sustainable development. The placement will impart practical knowledge and skills to the intern’s theoretical knowledge of international development issues climate resilience and the environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision by the allocated person, the intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide support to the department in climate and environment,
- Support in preparation of meetings, workshops, conferences and other gatherings
- Support in monitoring and tracking progress of activities and projects
- Assist in reviewing reports and other relevant documents and studies related to climate change and providing comments, where appropriate
- Engage in the collection and analyses for climate resilience information and data, assist in updating a database for on-going and pipeline projects on climate change mitigation by state and non-state actors if existing
- Participate in meetings, seminars, international and local fora, conferences and workshops, knowledge products and other applicable materials; and
- Any other responsibilities as may be allocated from the supervisor.
- Analysis on effectiveness of programme with local wisdom element and knowledge product to be shared on knowledge session in the office
- Successful implementation of series of events/workshop as applicable and proper documentation lesson learnt of programme initiatives.
- Effective support to the analysis on strategic implementation of new initiatives for future programming
- Development of TORs, proper documentation of minutes of meeting and presentation materials
- Effective support for programme team in development information about project