Senior Associate Agribusiness, Food and Water (Africa)
FMO – your preferred partner to invest in local prosperity
At the heart of everything we do is our aim to contribute to a world in which, in 2050, more than 9 billion people live well and within the means of the planet’s resources. By reaching out to underserved markets, FMO invests in some of the world’s most challenging business environments. The countries that we work in often have a fragile private sector, little job security and high poverty rates.
Our role extends beyond financing, as we help businesses to operate and grow transparently in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. We do so by investing time, capacity and resources in further understanding how their business and industry – and thus our financing – affect the welfare of local people and the surrounding environment. We encourage the growth of responsible businesses because they can enable and catalyze social and economic change. In the long-run sustainable businesses provide higher-level jobs, income, and tax generation to strengthen local society. We believe that these elements are key to reducing poverty and inequality. With our clients serving millions of customers, their adoption of good practices can have a tremendous effect on local development, as they often serve as catalysts for other businesses to do the same.
The Africa team of the Agribusiness, Food & Water department (AFW) is focusing on the development of the African food & agribusiness (F&A) sectors through financing the expansion of large F&A companies in line with the AFW strategy. In this respect, there is a focus on priority sectors where FMO can make most impact (Inclusive & Green) and have a strong business case. Examples are tree crops (e.g. sisal, fruits & nuts), cocoa and coffee sectors, sugar cane, sustainable oil palm and agricultural inputs. Special themes that are of particular relevance are Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), Supply Chain management, farmer finance schemes and Sustainability (themes which are also actively supported by the allocation of Capacity Development (CD). Cooperation with the Energy and Financial Institution Department of FMO is of increasing importance to optimize synergies in respectively, renewable energy and financing of farmers and farmer organizations. Also linkages with the Private Equity (PE) department are critical through FMO’s investments in funds that focus on African agribusiness as well as FMO’s direct equity investments.
The Africa & Farmer Finance team comprises of 10 professionals: 1 Manager, 4 (Senior) Investment Officers, 1 Portfolio Officer, 2 (S)PAs, 1 Senior Associate and 1 Secretary. The team is supported by a group of insurance, compliance, environmental & social officers.
For this team we are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Associate to support the IO’s in the structuring and execution of new deals as well as monitoring new clients. You will report to the Manager for Africa.
Specific tasks include:
- Provide support in structuring new deals (70%):
- Contributes to the preparation of investment proposals undertaking analysis and discussions with internal staff & clients as appropriate
- Undertaking food & agribusiness market research
- Undertakes administrative tasks with regards to file completion (compliance and reporting)
- Supporting planning and execution of due diligence visits
- Participates in client visits when requested
- Analyses financial data incl ratios, projections, budgets etc
- Supports legal contracting process led by IO
- Monitoring (newly) acquired clients (30%)
- Prepares credit reviews incl market and financial analysis
- Build relationships with existing clients on an operational level
- Provides support to these clients by responding to requests for information
- Drafting watch-list proposals, change requests and disbursement memo’s
- Participates in client monitoring visits when needed
- Undertakes activities and contributes to internal and department projects as requested e.g. identifying internal process improvements
- Msc in (agri)economics, finance, business administration or engineering;
- Minimum of 5 years working experience as credit/financial analyst;
- Working experience in an international environment and/or in emerging markets is a plus.
- Strong analytical and risk assessment skills, including financial modelling skills;
- Displays a strong service and client orientation;
- Strong team player;
- Good networking skills;
- Pro-active work attitude and 'can do', solution-oriented attitude;
- Strong skills in planning, administration, organizing and prioritizing;
- Risk aware and able to escalate issues when necessary;
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Good command of the French language is an advantage;
- Affinity with FMO's mission;
- Experience within the food & agribusiness sector is a must.