Pan Africa Programme Manager
It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid works through supporting local organisations and government authorities to design and demonstrate appropriate and sustainable WASH programmes. WaterAid also seeks to influence policy change through government and other key sector actors to secure and protect the rights of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
WaterAid is looking for a Pan Africa Programme Manager (PAPM) to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere.
The purpose of the role is to anchor and co-ordinate WaterAid’s work at the continental level. The PAPM will develop key relationships with stakeholders to influence the implementation of SDGs as pertains to the WASH sector S/he will work with country programmes and regional teams in Africa, build on their national and regional level experiences, link policy and practice to ensure linked up advocacy and influencing with key regional, governmental and non-governmental institutions and networks. The role will also pursue the Human rights aspects of WASH and build a network for influencing the WASH sector for improved, equitable and sustainable WASH services to the poor, marginalized and excluded in Africa. S/he will ensure that the pan Africa programme of work draws lessons from best practice across the globe and in particular WA’s experiences.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the implementation and continue to refine WaterAid’s Pan Africa strategy working in collaboration with the RAMs, RDs, regional teams and country programmes in Africa
- Ensure that our strategies and plans link practice and policy to maximize our impact, maintaining a strong relationship with the Global Advocacy priorities within regional plans and activities, in collaboration with the Africa region RAMs.
- Identify key strategic opportunities at the continental level within the WASH sector and in the wider development sector that WaterAid seeks to influence with a special focus on institutions (AMCOW & AfDB).
- Lead in the monitoring of commitments made by African governments at continental and international events and follow up the outcomes from advocacy events at pan Africa level in collaboration with the RAMs.
- Identify opportunities of collaborative work across a range of stakeholders such as AMCOW, AfDB, civil society networks etc, and develop relationships with them, as well as with other INGOs with a pan Africa agenda, in the furtherance of implementing the WA pan Africa objectives and plans, and take the lead on identified initiatives.
To be successful, you will need the following:
- First Degree (preferably taught), and post graduate degree or professional qualification or training in a relevant field (e.g. development studies, social sciences, humanities, political science or public administration)
- Significant exposure to WASH sector issues through formal education and/or short training courses and workshops
- At least 10 years substantial experience of working in Africa at senior management levels, of which some of the experience could be in WASH, environment, health or education sectors
- Excellent spoken and written English and French. Spoken and written Portuguese and a local African language will be an added advantage.
We are looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We are looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Find the welcoming pack and job description linked below for full details.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please complete our job application form linked below and send it to EArecruitments@wateraid.org stating ‘PAPM’ in the subject line.
Your application should reach us by 20th March 2019. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. No recruitment agencies please.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.