Internship (Water and Sanitation)
The intern will provide technical and administrative assistance to Global Sector Lead Water and Sanitation in working on on-going projects that were developed and also develop new project opportunities in Ethiopia by helping to draft project idea notes, project concept notes, full project proposals.
Hiring manager: Peter Vos, Deputy Director and Head of Water - Policy Solutions
Internship duration: 7 months (9:00 – 18:00 working days). May 1 2019 ~ December 1 2019.
We are looking for a talented individual to work with us in the Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to support global water sector lead to develop new project opportunities in Ethiopia.
The assignment will include the followings but not limited to:
- Develop together with the water sector lead and his team a joint project proposal with SIWI on climate-resilient rainfed agriculture, to be submitted to SIDA for financing
- Assist water sector lead and his team to submit a business plan for the Ethiopian Climate Insurance Acceleration Fund.
- Assist water sector lead and his team to secure financing for GGGI to engage in the second (feasibility) phase of the WASH project in drought-prone areas (investment size: some 100 million USD) which is to support Ministry of Water, Irrigation & Energy (MoWIE) as program manager.
- Assist water sector lead and his team to ensure financing from development partners or other financiers to support the establishment of the Ethiopian Climate Insurance Acceleration Fund
- Develop new ideas for water activities in Ethiopia
- Completion of bachelor’s degree and / or currently enrolled in/holding a master’s degree. (Master’s degree in water and sanitation engineering or related disciplines.)
- Preferably knowledge of Ethiopian water sector including but not limited to relevant policy, regulations, and list of major donors and development partners in the Ethiopian water sector
- Proven track records of execution and completion of similar assignments in developing or emerging countries.
- Strong communication, analytical and writing skills
- Energetic, proactive and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
Things to keep in mind for interns:
- Duration: The internship program lasts for at least three months and can be as long as six months. Once selected, interns must begin your internship either prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
- Cost: GGGI interns are paid USD$500 per month. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
- Visa: GGGI will provide a supporting letter for visa. Interns will be responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
- Travel: Intern will arrange and finance their travel to the internship location.
- Medical insurance: Interns must present proof of valid medical insurance to GGGI.
- Confidentiality: Interns must be discreet and keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and may not publish any documents based on such information.
- Academic Credit: Interns may get academic credit from their institution of higher education for the internship. Interns need to check with their university to confirm their academic credit policy for internships.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- GGGI evaluates applications based on: eligibility requirements, relevance of academic study and work experience (if any); and the level of interest and motivation to contribute to development work.
- Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.