Hydro Compliance Specialist
LaBella Associates was established in 1978 and has been voted a Top Workplace for the last five years. We are headquartered in Rochester, NY with offices across New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Madrid, Spain. LaBella is a multi-disciplined architectural and engineering firm dedicated to client satisfaction through teamwork, respect, and trust. We provide services that take a project from start to finish—from an initial study to determine a project’s feasibility to construction administration and start up, and everything in between.
We are currently seeking applications for a Hydro Compliance position in our Rochester, NY office.
- Prepare letters, plans and reports related to dam operations, water quality, recreation, and other project specific issues for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Review and analyze scientific and engineering data including river flow, hydro operations, and project pond elevations and required flows, and prepare reports.
- Monitor plant operations, river flow/weather, and dam operations daily and identify and execute project license compliance required action items (e.g. notify regulatory agencies and continue communications until issue is resolved).
- Monitor construction and maintenance projects and identify and execute project license compliance required action items (e.g., notify regulatory agencies and continue communications until project is complete).
- Work closely with hydroelectric plant operations management and hydroelectric engineering to ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Research site specific compliance and operations issues and prepare summary memos and recommendations.
- Support compliance tracking and reporting.
- Support agency/stakeholder communications, consultations, and meetings.
- Support permit applications where required by federal, state, or local environmental regulatory authorities for project-related work.
- Prepare resource management, environmental, or public safety plans.
- Run emergency action plan annual drills.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering
- > 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience working with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies including the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC), and New York State Canal Corps.
- Knowledge of key hydropower and natural resource regulations including the Federal Power Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act, Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- Communicate with other staff, regulatory agencies, and project stakeholders
- Travel to project facilities Plattsburgh, Mechanicville, and Rochester (5% annually).
The offer of employment for this position will be conditioned upon a satisfactory criminal background check.
- Health/Dental Insurance
- 401k Plan
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Profit Sharing
- Paid Time Off
- Verizon Wireless Discount
- Gym Reimbursement
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Referral Bonus Program
- Wellness Program
- Team Building Events
- Community Service Events