Urban Water Legal Intern
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an Urban Water Legal Intern to work with the Water team in our Santa Monica office. This intern may participate in writing briefs, drafting complaints, preparing legal analyses, investigating violations of environmental laws, and drafting white papers and comments for submission to administrative agencies. NRDC hires passionate students who possess the intelligence, skill, self-confidence, and maturity to take on substantial responsibility. Our interns play an active role on the frontlines of the environmental movement. Over the course of a summer, an NRDC intern will typically work on a variety of projects and amass experience that he or she could not obtain anywhere else.
This is a full-time, paid internship for a 10-12 week summer term.
Research legal, factual and policy issues relevant to NRDC’s water work in the Los Angeles region:
- Draft, proofread, and edit documents (e.g., research memoranda, policy reports)
- Assist water attorneys with various projects related to stormwater enforcement and drinking water issues.
- Contribute 40 hours a week for a 10-12 week summer term.
- Enrollment in law school, with a preference for rising 3Ls;
- Outstanding academic record;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work hard, efficiently, and independently.
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment and professionalism.
- Comfort interpreting scientific and technical concepts.Demonstrated interest in public service or
- social justice work.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team to build upon strengths of the program.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.