Graduate River Engineer
Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 7,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Read more about our graduates by clicking below
Our rivers team focuses on flood risk management and flood defence appraisal and design, river and Tidal Barrier engineering and river restoration schemes.
As a graduate working within the rivers team, you will be involved in:
- Feasibility studies to determine project viability and secure funding
- Flood risk management and flood defence design
- River engineering design
- River restoration design
- Preparation of consent applications
- Preparation of materials for consultation with project stakeholders
- Geospatial analysis
- Developing design drawings using CAD
- Undertaking calculations and other technical analysis in support of the team
- Drafting technical reports to support planning and / or design of projects
You can work towards chartered status with a professional body (including ICE or CIWEM) and will gain experience in:
- Industry leading software for flood modelling and mapping
- UK methods for flood risk appraisal and hydrological analysis
- Water resources management
- Options appraisal
- We expect our candidates to have graduated with or expecting to graduate with a with a minimum 2.1 bachelor’s in or related to civil engineering or Environmental Engineering.
- Interested candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong focus in Water / River related subjects
- Master’s degree is desirable but not essential
Skills that we are looking for:
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Technical ability in relevant fields
- Highly numerate with practical, problem solving and engineering abilities
- CAD / Civils 3D and GIS capability would be desirable
- Spreadsheet design and/or manipulation skills would be advantageous as would strong analytical skills
- Confident using Microsoft applications, particularly Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- High motivation to join Jacobs
- Flexibility in their work schedule with a focus on project delivery to time and budget
- Flexible and proactive team player, able to work with different project teams in the office and across offices
- Keen to accept responsibility
Start your journey with Jacobs
Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP) is recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice and is designed to fulfil the needs of all graduates, in addition to technical development needs specific to their particular discipline.
Graduates complete a series of competencies based upon business requirements, comprising the optimum mix of blended learning which complements chartership progression and provides them with the technical and business acumen required to advance their career. Additional benefits include:
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY NOVEMBER 9TH 2018
Join Jacobs. We want you to grow…
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including:
Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.