Senior Associate (Water Practice)
Environmental Incentives’ mission is to enhance the natural systems that sustain resilient and healthy communities. We design performance-driven approaches to conservation that empower public and private sector leaders to multiply their impact. We are environmental thought leaders pioneering a new wave of conservation, helping people get the most from their investments in the environment. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation with three offices across the US.
- Western Office (headquarters) - South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Eastern Office - Washington, DC
- Mountain Office - Denver, CO
Environmental Incentives is seeking to hire a Senior Associate to join our municipal water resources team, working at an office in San Diego, CA starting immediately. The position will initially include substantial travel to Lake Tahoe for training and will continue to require travel within Southern California for the duration of the job. This position is a full-time Senior Associate focused on stormwater and watershed program development.
Our municipal water resources team designs programs that help communities meet water quality goals. The Senior Associate is the front-line project director position. Senior Associates serve as project managers, maintain primary client relationships, create high-quality products with staff support and contribute creative ideas to enhance the company services. Specifically, Senior Associates have the opportunity to:
- Direct projects. Lead project teams of staff and project partners from the beginning to the end of a project.
- Interact with clients. Be the primary point of contact between clients and project teams, creating value without oversight from senior management.
- Develop & quality assure products. Define products that are targeted to client needs and show insight. Be able to produce a product from start to finish. Maintain openness to changing the products via input of Partners or other staff. Require limited to no quality assurance review on products produced.
- Manage stakeholder relationships. Convene and manage relevant stakeholder groups in order to gain valuable insight related to projects and support change management. Present materials and ideas in a clear and structured manner. Be able to identify problematic stakeholder situations and create solutions and strategies to resolve the situations.
- Contribute to new business development. Contribution of insights and new ideas that improve our company, educate colleagues and create opportunities for future work are crucial.
- Lead the field. Work alongside recognized and established environmental thought leaders who are reshaping the way stormwater is managed and water resources are delivered.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative and inspired professionals who can provide technical leadership in a growing practice while being flexible enough to fit into a strong culture. We differentiate carefully our minimum qualifications, preferred skills and necessary characteristics for success.
A narrow set of specific qualifications are essential for consideration in the open positions. These qualifications are considered the minimum necessary and we expect successful candidates will bring more than the minimum listed.
Senior Associate II-V
- Ability to live in San Diego, CA and work remotely after an initial training period at the headquarters office.
- 5-10 years of experience working with municipal government on environment-related programs.
- Municipal stormwater and watershed protection program implementation.
- Project and program-level cost and finance experience.
- Extensive network of municipal stormwater relationships and contacts.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Economic analysis and incentive design.
- Involvement with public and private funding programs.
- Offsite mitigation program implementation and project development.
- Conservation finance, impact investing and project-level financial analysis.
- Management of public-private partnerships.
- Local government budgeting and budget management responsibilities.
- Experience presenting to elected officials and municipal finance directors.
- Success with new business development in the water resources field.
- Adaptive management and learning program design.
- Perspective on operations & maintenance or water quality monitoring.
- Development of quantification tools for assessing water quality change.
- Alignment with Environmental Incentives’ core principles and culture.
- Clarity of thought & strong work ethic.
- Effective and organized verbal and written communication.
- Ability to create new and innovative ideas.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to constructively receive and give critical feedback.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location. The annual salary ranges for these positions
- Senior Associate II-V: $90,000 - $128,000
How To apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume on our careers page with “Senior Associate Water” as the position title. Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received and the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is identified.
What happens next?
While resumes and cover letters allow us to screen for certain characteristics, they don’t always let us know who you are and the particular qualities and skills you possess. Therefore after you apply, if we think you align with Environmental Incentives principles we will ask you to complete writing and spreadsheet exercises to allow you to better showcase your clarity of thought, verbal and written communication, and ability to create new and innovative ideas. Then we will welcome qualified candidates to interview with the Environmental Incentives team.
Environmental Incentives is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.