Director (Reporting Services)
Established in 1990, the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is an independent think tank that champions sustainable solutions to 21st century problems. Our mission is to provide the knowledge that will help people to thrive today while taking action to protect the environment and the well-being of future generations.
Headquartered in Winnipeg, IISD has offices in Canada and Switzerland and is expanding its active presence in China. Our work engages with stakeholders around the world, with the goal of positive impact on economies, communities and ecosystems in nearly 100 countries. IISD is a registered charitable organization in Canada and has 501(c)(3) status in the United States.
IISD’s work is organized around advancing sustainable economies, protecting freshwater resources, accelerating climate solutions and connecting decision makers at all levels with the information they need to build a more sustainable world.
For over two decades, IISD Reporting Services has provided the international sustainable development community with a trusted, freely accessible source of neutral information on multilateral sustainable development negotiations.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter with a vision for how to guide Reporting Services. You will have a deep knowledge of multilateral environmental agreements and United Nations environmental policy and practices, as well as experience working with and mobilizing resources from international partners. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy working with a diverse and multicultural group and know how to reach and engage targeted audiences.
- Lead and manage a remote team (staff and consultants) that provides written reports, photography and video coverage of international sustainable development meetings.
- Ensure stable, multi-year funding for Reporting Services and manage relationships with key resource partners.
- Develop and support the implementation of an innovation agenda by suggesting strategies to improve efficiency, build capacity and identify new opportunities to deliver on IISD’s strategic plan.
- Engage with United Nations agencies and related organizations, liaising with officials, representatives of national governments, international agencies, non-governmental organizations, business sector and others.
- Represent IISD and Reporting Services in international forums, addressing substantive issues of relevance to IISD.
- Ensure smooth working relationships with other programs to advance IISD’s mission and impact.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience managing international activities, including leading multicultural, globally-dispersed teams, managing large programs, and developing and implementing new projects.
- Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field, or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Proven ability with modern communications tools, audience engagement strategies, and public outreach.
- Direct experience with multilateral environmental agreements and UN environmental policy and practices.
- Understanding of program financing and experience in the non-profit or private sector.
- Fundraising experience, including building and maintaining donor relationships.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally for up to 60 days a year.
This role is advertised in Ottawa, Toronto and Geneva. Please only apply to one posting. However, we are open to alternative locations. Applicant must have appropriate work permit status for the location in which they will work.
Posting closes: Tuesday, March 19, 9 am CST or until successful applicant has been selected. All submissions must be in English.
Compensation: $105,000 – 125,000 CAD or 137,000 – 170,000 CHF
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates advancing in the recruitment will be contacted. You will be notified when the posting has closed.