Resilient Waters Program: OKACOM Technical Programme Officer
Chemonics International seeks a Technical Programme Officer for the USAID-funded Resilient Waters Program to provide technical support for its institutional partner The Permanent Okavango River Basin Water Commission (OKACOM). The following position will be based in OKACOM’s offices in Gaborone, Botswana. The purpose of the Technical Programme Officer position is to provide technical and programmatic support to facilitate the implementation of the OKACOM Strategic Action Programme (SAP) as well contribute to the effective execution and coordination of activities with other OKACOM projects. The incumbent will provide targeted support to OKACOM’s Programs Coordinator (PC) and will support the interface role between the internal and external OKACOM stakeholders to drive implementation of activities that promote the SAP thematic areas and effective transboundary management. He/she will ensure the timely delivery of program outputs, and smooth running of major OKACOM program activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist the OKASEC in tracking program deliverables and cross-cutting themes in compliance with donor obligations and requirements.
• Cultivate supportive and cooperative relationships with all OKACOM projects to ensure effective development, monitoring and implementation of program activities.
• Support the OKASEC to continuously review and assess progress made by the various OKACOM projects and update as necessary both the OKACOM SAP and USAID Resilient Waters Program’s MEL plans.
• Provide technical support to all projects that contribute to the implementation of the OKACOM SAP, including technical report coordination and writing, as well as review of technical reports.
• Initiate the review of progress reports for different projects and appraise OKASEC senior management on the status of all projects implemented by OKACOM using appropriate project reporting and management tools.
• Draft technical concept notes that guide major activities that will be undertaken by OKASEC and partners.
• Provide technical support to OKASEC in the preparations for major OKACOM meetings and workshops; record proceedings of all workshops and stakeholder meetings, subsequently producing detailed technical reports and executive summaries.
• Create and maintain database of key technical experts and key stakeholders at the country, regional and international levels to promote collaboration and communication for knowledge sharing purposes.
• Initiate knowledge sharing platforms and coordinate ‘resilience dialogues’ with other local, regional and international partners to learn best practices in programmatic thematic areas.
• Contribute and coordinate with technical experts on technical content/information for dissemination on various media platforms to promote the visibility of OKACOM locally and regionally.
• Source and obtain existing long-term statistical data from the basin government departments in support of the OKACOM Open Access Data Centre function and the Decision Support System.
• Support identification of institutional capacity needs/gaps and support capacity development activities to enhance operational and institutional capacities for OKACOM.
• A minimum of a post-graduate degree in any discipline related to the OKACOM Strategic Action Programme thematic areas
• At least 10 years’ experience working with and managing complex development programmes related to OKACOM’s thematic program areas required; experience in managing complex projects in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary setting in southern Africa highly preferred.
• Excellent understanding of natural resources management in transboundary ecosystems
• Demonstrated programme and and project management skills required
• Excellent technical report writing skills required; monitoring and evaluation skills and experience highly preferred
• Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing) required; understanding of Portuguese will be advantage