Resilient Waters Program: Communications and Visibility Specialist
The Communications and Visibility Specialist position scope: The Communications and Visibility Specialist will develop and implement a strategy to effectively share information and interact with and respond to LIMCOM’s target audiences. This will be done through a consultative drafting and review process with member states and stakeholders to effectively disseminate the strategic mandate of LIMCOM and raise awareness of its various activities to diverse targeted audiences. The Communications and Visibility Strategy will also guide effective management, circulation, and use of the most relevant information (including receiving and incorporating feedback from target audiences) by LIMCOM. The overall outcome of this assignment will strengthen LIMCOM’s capacity to communicate key messages and engage stakeholders around transboundary water security, resources management, and other key objectives as aligned with the organization’s current program of work.
Principal duties and responsibilities: The specific tasks of the Communications and Visibility Strategist will include but are not limited to the following:
- Review LIMCOM’s existing draft communications strategy and update as necessary through a broader consultative process with stakeholders and member states.
- Develop a communications and visibility strategy that outline a diverse mix of media protocols and channels that LIMCOM can utilize while describing the advantages and disadvantages of each (e.g. digital, online, social media, print).
- Conduct publicity awareness and outreach campaigns to strategically position LIMCOM on various media platforms.
- Develop a robust infrastructure and efficient internal process system to curate all types of media content from the RBO’s leadership, technical experts, partners and various stakeholders (digital, online, print) to ensure LIMCOM has a continuous stream of relevant media content to disseminate.
- Repackage and rebrand communications materials to reflect current LIMCOM’s strategic mandate and the aspirations of a broader stakeholder base.
- Translate key messages from technical reports and repackage them to reach non-technical stakeholders and broader targeted audiences.
- Engage in advocacy and publicity initiatives to promote LIMCOM on various media platforms.
- Develop and maintain effective media relations to continuously and consistently articulate key messages to promote LIMCOM’s programmatic activities.
- Develop an Implementation and Transition Plan with priority activities and cost implications to implement LIMCOM’s communications strategy, including clear alignment with funding/donor requirements.
- As part of the Implementation and Transition Plan, outline the capacity requirements of LIMCOM to successfully implement the overall strategy.
- Review and strengthen previously developed communications materials and tools to ensure they are inclusive and reflect broader aspirations of a wider stakeholder base.
- Make recommendations for and develop additional communications materials and tools to raise LIMCOM’s profile and promote its activities on diverse media platforms.
- Degree in communications, marketing, social sciences, or related field
- Have at least 5 years of experience in drafting effective communication and visibility strategies for organizations, preferably in the water resources management sector.
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of social media, print media, and other forms of communication tools, and knowledge of how to communicate with a range of stakeholders, including marginalized rural communities.
- Demonstrated experience with designing, delivering, and managing communications products and mass media campaigns.
- Have demonstrated capacity to carry out the assignment based on similar assignments conducted in the past (preferably within the SADC region), including the development of a costed implementation and transition plan
- Strong knowledge of the southern Africa media context highly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Portuguese required.
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations related to communication programs and media campaigns required.
- Previous USAID or other international donor experience preferred.
Estimated length of assignment:
The estimated duration of this assignment is four to six months
Application instructions: Apply online by March 12, 2019 at the following link: