Resilient Waters Program: Senior Technical Advisor
Senior Technical Advisor position scope: The Senior Technical Advisor, in coordination with the LIMCOM Secretariat, will establish internal policies, procedures, processes and systems around LIMCOM’s governance, administrative, and financial functions, to enable LIMCOM to effectively carry out its strategic mandate. The Senior Technical Advisor will conduct benchmarking assessments of other RBOs in the southern African region to determine most efficient institutional governance practices, policy frameworks, systems and structures. As part of the transboundary benchmarking exercises, the person will consult with Member States to develop effective institutional governance systems that promote transparent transboundary natural resources management and sustainable resilience initiatives. In addition, the Senior Technical Advisor will play an advisory role on the development of LIMCOM’s institutional policy manual relating to office operations, human resources, administration, inventory, finance, contracts/subcontracts, and compliance with LIMCOM’s policies and procedures. Furthermore, the Senior Technical Advisor will participate in, and/or facilitate, technical team meetings, including the work plan development processes and strategic project reviews, and will proactively coordinate with the technical task team to ensure the implementation of programmatic activities in accordance with the work plan.
Principal duties and responsibilities: In coordination with the Executive Secretary, the specific tasks of the Senior Technical Advisor will include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide technical support to LIMCOM Secretariat
- Liaise with other RBOs in the region (e.g. ORASECOM and OKACOM) to document lessons learned or best practices to identify how to best set up and manage LIMCOM’s internal processes and governance/policy frameworks.
- Coordinate the development of guiding documents for LIMCOM, including policy and procedure manuals (human resources management and procedural manual, financial management policy guidelines, and procurement and asset maintenance and disposal guidelines)
- Ensure adherence to governance mechanisms and procedures to guide LIMCOM’s internal decision-making processes in a manner that promotes consistency, uniformity and predictability.
- Provide technical assistance services, these will comprise both advisory as well as hands-on support with clear deliverables
- Assist in convening LIMCOM meetings to ensure all meetings are called as outlined in LIMCOM’s policies and procedures manual, as well as sharing the technical minutes in accordance with procedural guidelines.
- Support planning, reporting and performance management of annual work plans
- Represent the Secretariat in absence of the Secretariat;
- Establish administrative, human resources, and financial systems in accordance with LIMCOM’s policies, and ensure implementation of and adherence to the organization’s procedures as set forth in the administrative, operations and financial manuals. This includes being proactive and identifying issues in addition to seeing them to timely resolution.
- Oversee acquisition processes to ensure conformity with LIMCOM procedures, from procurement through to inventory management
- Act as administrative manager of subcontracts and vendors to ensure that all services and deliverables are received, and compliance of the terms and conditions are adhered to
- Establish and maintain relevant internal databases and files
- Work with Executive Secretariat to ensure accurate management of the budget
- A degree in water resource management, business administration, public administration, organizational development, or a related field such as economics, political, or international development, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of direct work experience supporting the development and implementation of institutional governance structures, operations management systems, policy manuals and procedures, robust administrative and financial systems and/or human resource management for institutions based in southern Africa.
- Solid understanding of transboundary legislative and regulatory frameworks of member states particularly in the southern Africa region highly preferred
- Institutional governance, ethics and policy development experience highly preferred
- Understanding of financial management principles, audit processes and principles, budgeting, as well as important financial processes including accounts, pay roll, invoicing and processing payments among other complementary financial processes.
- Sound knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards and International Auditing Standards
- Excellent communication, management, planning, and coordination skills required
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Established working relationships with various key stakeholder organizations in the southern Africa region highly preferred
- Excellent English and Portuguese (reading, writing, and verbal) language skills required
- Ability to travel occasionally on short-term basis
Estimated length of assignment
The is envisioned to be a long-term project position for the duration of the five-year Resilient Waters Program that will be based in the LIMCOM Secretariat in Maputo, Mozambique
Application instructions: Apply online by March 12, 2019 at the following link: