Project Development and Research Consultant
The position is responsible for supporting the Global Water, Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP) and GWP Africa Coordination Unit. The WACDEP programme includes a global component, linking to major processes such as United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Green Climate Fund (GCF), GEF and a portfolio of regional projects that aim to build climate resilience through better water management. WACDEP aims to integrate water security and climate resilience in development planning processes, build climate resilience and support countries to adapt to a new climate regime through increased investments in water security.
The global WACDEP is hosted by Global Water Partnership (GWP) Southern Africa in Pretoria, South Africa and provides global leadership and support to GWP regional water partnerships working closely with Global Water Partnership Organization (GWPO).
In September 2018, as part of WACDEP, GWP and partners launched partnerships to support national institutions improve capacity for developing climate resilient water projects for the GCF. The Project Preparation Partnership for Climate Resilient Water Projects provides a platform for countries to exchange knowledge and lessons as their experience in preparing, financing, and implementing water projects grows, in particular, in the context of the GCF.
Project Development and Research Consultant
GWP requires the services of a consultant to support project development and research for project preparation partnership. The consultant will also contribute actively to GWP global WACDEP programme and support global climate policy processes and climate finance opportunities.
The position reports to the GWPSA Executive secretary, Global WACDEP Coordinator, and will work closely with the team members of the global climate team based at GWPO in Stockholm and other members of the GWPSA Team. The consultant will undertake duties as assigned to enhance programme development and programme implementation.
Duties and Tasks
Support to global climate policy processes
- Ensure the tracking of the global UNFCCC climate processes related to adaptation and water management and represent GWP in meetings and workshops related to climate themes
- Assist with preparations for global climate change events and processes under the UNFCCC
- Track global climate processes under GCF, Adaptation Fund, GEF and others
- Assist with preparations for global climate change events and processes under the UNFCCC, GCF and others
Project Preparation Partnership and implementation
- Coordinate the work of the project preparation partnership including regular follow up to country requests and updates to partners on opportunities for support
- Support programme development efforts of the regions and GWPO accordingly
- Support follow up on project development requests for the GCF
- Prepare proposals relevant to advance GWP WACDEP interventions
- Support integration of climate resilience into national adaptation plans and local climate resilience projects
Climate Research and development
- Undertake research to inform GWP engagement in global climate change processes and GWP submissions on climate change to global climate processes
- Undertake research on climate change to inform GCF projects supported by GWP and its partners such as United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), UNDP Global Environmental Finance (UNDP-GEF), Climate Resilience Infrastructure Development Facility (CRIDF), Africa Climate Change Fund (ACCF) and others
- Contribute to GWP climate change publications, policy briefs and technical papers and publications
- Contribute to GWP publications on climate change-NDCs, NAPs, and others
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 3 years’ experience and knowledge of climate change adaptation
- Relevant university degree(s) in climate science, environmental sciences or political sciences
- Experience with climate change adaptation global policy processes under the UNFCCC and familiar with NAPs, NDCs and climate finance such as GCF, GEF and others is an advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in English is a requirement, other languages - (French and Spanish) an advantage.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including ability to synthesize complex information into materials for both academic and policy audiences.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks with excellent project management skills.
- Service-oriented work style, with excellent interpersonal skills, able to work effectively and harmoniously at all levels.
- Experience in a multicultural environment.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, experience with the Microsoft Suite of programs, and an ability to acquire web editing skills, use of spread sheets.
Individual consultants who meet all the above requirements are invited to submit their curriculum vitae to the following address no later than March 12, 2019 (Tuesday):
Mr. Alex Simalabwi
GWPSA Regional Executive Secretary
with copy to:
Ms. Julienne Ndjiki