Operations Analyst (Water Sector Group)
Close relatives of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Water Sector Group of the Sector Advisory Service Cluster (SDSC-WAT) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work. The Water Sector Group Secretariat provides advice on strategic directions of ADB's water operations; conducts activities on water issues and staff development programs for its members; and produces and disseminates water knowledge products.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Operations Analyst supports the administration and implementation of technical assistance (TA) projects in water sector, including sanitation, wastewater, integrated water resources management, water-related disaster management, and water operators partnerships to ensure compliance with ADB's established policies, procedures and practices. The Operations Analyst also provides overall support to the Water Sector Group (WSG) activities and Water Financing Partnership Facility operations. S/he also contributes in the preparation and monitoring of the cluster work programs and budgets and coordinates other administrative activities and consolidates information for the cluster. The Operations Analyst assists the Water SG Secretariat in delivering ad-hoc activities, e.g., ADB and partner water weeks, knowledge events, among others. The incumbent will report to designated IS and senior National Staff.
 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
- Effectively handles the assigned TA administration tasks by analyzing progress reports, processing amendments, reviewing various documents and contracts, tracking disbursements; reviewing and ensuring that the TAs are properly planned, monitored, and reported.
- Assists in processing letters of agreement with collaborating organizations and in reviewing and monitoring grant assisted projects in relation to optimal utilization of grant proceeds to ensure good financial management practices.
- Coordinates with various concerned units for the monitoring of TA advances and closing to ensure timely liquidation. Responds verbally and/or in writing to internal and external queries and request for information on administered TA projects.
- Ensures project compliance with ADB provisions, highlighting potential problem areas, liaising with counterparts from operations departments, CTL, OCO, and PPFD; and preparing periodic status reports on project administration and implementation. Reviews and updates TA budget; liaise with consultants and collaborating organizations/agencies. Reviews and verifies travel reimbursement claims, per diem, and miscellaneous travel expenses of participants to ADB-sponsored events.
- Monitors the updating and uploading of all projects-related reports in eOps and relevant ADB systems e.g., progress reports, TA and Grant Agreements, Design Monitoring Framework, TA Completion Report, and TA Change in Scope. Collects, verifies, and compiles data for use in the preparation and updating of various reports and system such as monthly Management Information System (MIS), e-Ops, and summaries of TA projects under processing within the division, Monthly Status Report for the division's operational activities, and cofinancing.
- Contributes to the compliant selection and engagement of consultants by initiating request for recruitment of consultants in CMS, verifying, analyzing, and evaluating background information, participating in contract negotiations as necessary especially during discussion of financial terms, following up the timely signing of TA Agreement, issuing Notice to Proceed. Analyzes, evaluates, and prepares consultants' request for contract variation, advising and assisting consultants on other contractual matters; checking, reviewing, and verifying the accuracy of consultants' monthly billings; ensuring timely provision of consultants' requirements for cash advance, availability and release of funds for mobilization purposes; and monitoring progress of consultants' services.
- Contributes to the preparation of the cluster's annual administrative budget by consolidating the cluster's work program and preparing corresponding financial resource requirements and background materials. Prepares the midterm budget review and revised budget estimates.
- Reviews, inputs, summarizes, and analyzes budget requirements for mission travel, staff consultants, representation, staff overtime, and other expenditures to ensure budget availability. Monitors and analyzes utilization of cluster budget to ensure that expenditures are properly accounted for and that deviations from forecasts are justified. Recommends budget reallocation for staff consultants and business travel based on divisional work requirements and work programs.
- Prepares and reviews inputs in the Oracle budget system against the cluster's budget requirements including preparation and monitoring of Mission Authorization Request (MAR). Reviews and initiates processing of administrative/representation expenses in the system. Assists in ensuring the effective implementation/accomplishment of work program and efficient use of resources by monitoring the progress status of approved projects and programs throughout the year.
- Maintains records/database of TAs and related data through efficient coordination within the division. Updates and maintains financial databases and ensures accuracy.
- Supports the organization/implementation of SDSC-related training, seminars, conferences and workshops. Monitors and manages the divisions' publication and printing budget.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree, preferably Business Administration/Accounting, Engineering, and Social and Development and related areas
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for AS7
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.