Contract Type: Employee
Closing date: 11-Apr-2022
Posting Start Date: 28-Mar-2022
Duty Station: Central Africa Country Cluster, Yaounde
Duty Station Status: N/A
Duration: 12 MONTHS
Accompanied Status: N/A
Grade: Not applicable
Reporting to the Programs Coordinator for the Japanese Government-funded Humanitarian assistance Programs in Cameroon the Wash officer will:
– Be responsible to oversee the implementation of IFRC WASH operational plan support to CRC (Cameroon Red Cross Society). He/she will work closely with CRC (Cameroon Red Cross Society), ensuring WASH Program is implemented effectively and efficiently in coordination with relevant stakeholders at national and local levels. This position is fully embedded in the health team and works closely with CRC WASH at the HQ and provincial/regional level to build CRC WASH team capacity overall in WASH Program design, implementation, and M&E.
– S/he manages implementation of Japanese Government-funded Humanitarian assistance PROJECT by CRC (Cameroon Red Cross Society) in mainly 2 regions of the country ( West and Far North) Also extends support in implementation of IFRC-CRC WASH program in different other places.
– S/he assists/supports Health Development Coordinator in overall leading/management of IFRC WASH Program and provide technical support to CRC (Cameroon Red Cross Society) in implementation of Japanese Government-funded Humanitarian assistance Programs in Cameroon in targeted regions
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Wash Officer will be responsible for the following aspects of the Programs:
Program planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Support CRC in planning, organizing, and implementing WASH activities at the field level.
- Support CRC in supervision, monitoring, and evaluation of the WASH activities.
- Support CRC in follow up of project indicators and activities regularly through updating PMER, this includes every single activity of WASH project in the field
- Ensure that procurement of WASH items and their delivery to the project areas is done timely.
- Participate actively in the program planning process and budgeting of the program.
- Preparing monitoring reports and follow up action points through developing proper M&E mechanisms.
- Establishing a sound coordination system with all CRC relevant staff.
- Responsible for organizing WASH related trainings for CRC staff and volunteers.
- Provide technical support to CRC staff and volunteers during their practical work in the field.
- Responsible for program reporting to IFRC and its back donors (monthly, quarterly, and annual).
- Review the quality of the work completed with the teams to ensure that it meets the projects standards, targets, and objectives.
- Represents IFRC by attending meetings, including WASH cluster meetings, sharing information, and providing feedback when requested.
- Enforce the implementation of aims and objectives of JAPANESE GOVERNMENT-FUNDS Health and WASH project in line with IFRC-CRC policy/strategy.
- Support CRC to implement a hygiene promotion Program, which suits the local context and is widely accepted by beneficiaries.
- Ensure IFRC, National and Sphere standards are considered through the program cycle and are well documented.
- Ensure the consideration of cross cutting areas such as gender, protection, environment, DRR and sustainability within all WASH interventions.
- Work closely with Program support functions (logistics and finance departments) for WASH Program supplies to procure projects’ supplies within the project timeline.
- Ensure IFRC WASH supported programs and projects use appropriate PMER tools in compliance to IFRC planning and budgeting process.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation visits to IFRC WASH supported Program/project areas especially to JAPANESE GOVERNMENT-FUNDS funded 2 regions and prepare the report from the field visits for feedback to CRC team at HQ and regional levels.
- Lead preparation and facilitate preparation of case studies, stories for health reporting and communication materials.
- Responsible for budget utilization/tracking on monthly basis in coordination with finance department.
- Identify WASH priority areas and provide expert inputs in executing WASH Program/project proposals, DREF, Emergency Appeals for CRC Health Program support.
- Ready to be deployed nationally as a WASH Expert during emergency/need.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
NS Technical and Operational Capacity Support
- To work closely with CRC Health-WASH team and help find solutions, especially in skill building and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Provision of technical support and build the capacity of CRC WASH team to take the responsibility of WASH program design and implementation.
- Support CRC to adhere and follow WASH national standards.
- Build CRC capacity and provide oversight in the planning, implementation, and management of the WASH components of NS emergency response and recovery Programs, ensuring that these are according to agreed standards.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of CRC WASH counterparts in Program planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Support, coach and mentor CRC WASH staff, assist IFRC Health Development Coordinator and link it to wider organizational capacity development mechanisms
- Provide guidance and inputs to CRC WASH counterparts in the process of developing WASH Program guidelines and tools and when needed the Program proposal/DREF/Emergency appeal.
- Contribute to country office strategic and operational management discussions and meetings aside from WASH programming.
Coordination and Communication
- Coordinate with RCRC movement partners, local and international NGOs, UN agencies, local Government Authorities, and other stakeholders to ensure holistic support to project implementation.
- Work with CRC and liaise with WASH cluster and other relevant national technical setups to bridge the technical knowledge to CRC.
- Concrete linkage with CRC and contribute to implementation of both CRC upcoming 5-year strategy and CRC overall strategic plan.
- Closer relations and effective coordination with ICRC and build one community of practice on WASH.
- Facilitate effective liaison and coordination with WASH program technical counterparts from movement, JAPANESE GOVERNMENT-FUNDS, government, UN agencies, INGOs and NGOs.
- Foster collaboration within CRC and IFRC WASH and with other relevant CRC and IFRC offices.
- Participate in WASH sector and relevant thematic WASH technical networks to share and keep abreast of the latest developments and issues.
- Participate and produce meeting briefs/reports for feedback to CRC and IFRC WASH colleagues.
Coordinate with the APRO WASH Coordinator about latest development of IFRC guidelines, etc….
- Relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent work experiences. University graduate on Management with WASH experiences
- Equivalent training/course on WASH, WASH program management; planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting (PMER); training development and facilitation; in development and emergency context.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing WASH programme both development and emergency WASH programming for national and international organisations
- Coordination, representation.
- Experience working in different areas of the country
- Experience with international donors funded programme
- Red Cross and Red Crescent knowledge and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- High knowledge in WASH programme management.
- Strong analytical skills in assessment, data collection and analysis.
- Strong experience in program/project proposal writing.
- Proven programme management skill in program planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Ability to provide staff training, coaching and mentoring.
- Creative communication and participatory learning process.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good understanding of programme budget and financial management.
- Strong interpersonal and cultural sensitivity.
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, Office).
- Fluent in written and spoken English and French
Competencies and Values
Communication, Collaboration & Teamwork, Judgement & Decision Making, National Society & Customer Relations, Creativity & Innovation, Building Trust.
Functional Competencies: Strategic Orientation, Building Alliances, Leadership, Empowering Others