Reports To: DeputyChief of Party
Please note that this position is contingent upon award of the funding opportunity and the USAID’s approval of candidacy.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding.
Sustainable, Transformational and Accessible Water Interventions (STAWI) project aims to strengthen resilience and expand economic opportunities in targeted northern and southeastern counties through management of water resources, expansion of sustainable water services, and improved use of water within agriculture and livestock market systems. The goal of the project is to 1) Improve governance of water resources and services, 2) increase sustainability of water service delivery, 3) Improve management, efficiency and equitable access to water used for productive purposes and 4) Improve collaboration and learning across stakeholders and strengthen the capacity of county governments for learning and adaptation
As Agriculture Technical Advisor, you will provide overall leadership of the agriculture components of STAWI by advising and supporting the Chief of Party (COP) in providing technical direction to project implementation and ensure the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements. You will also be responsible for coordination with GOK and other stakeholders on water for productive purpose as well as Water Technical Advisor on irrigation, governance, and resource management related issues. You will contribute to design and lead project strategies to strengthen inclusive water systems and markets that empower women and youth and enhance their resilience.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the identification of agriculture staff capacity and technical assistance needs of Sub-grant awardees, including local civil society organizations, county governments and capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality project implementation
- Help identify, assess, and strengthen partnerships relevant to Agriculture and Livelihoods, applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches
- Strengthen and lead the STAWI agriculture component Community of Practice
- Develop innovations to enhance programming in STAWI, including the introduction of new climate smart agriculture techniques.
- Support the testing of new tools (resilience metrics, best practices) developed by STAWI.
- Coordinate and monitor financial and material resources relevant to STAWI agriculture component through planning and oversight to ensure efficient use of project resources
- Promote MEAL and collaborating, learning, adapting by leading STAWI reviews and reflections with staff and partner representatives and documentation of good practices and lessons learned for assessments, to adjust strategies and implementation plans, to inform future programming initiatives and approaches, and to contribute to organizational learning
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgement.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with local stakeholders and culturally diverse groups at all levels, internally and externally.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to contribute to written reports and generate learning products.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
Required Languages – Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
Travel– Must be willing and able to travel up to 60% within the project area as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities: AgricultureOfficers
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: STAWI Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Water Technical Advisor, CLA Advisor, Country Representative, Head of Programming, Programming staff, Finance Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, HQ based Public Donor Liaison.
External: Donor, government agencies, partner INGOs and local NGOs, peer agencies, community representatives, private sector actors, including financial institutions.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in agriculture or related field.
- Minimum of ten years of work experience in implementing agriculture programs in development contexts (non-emergency). Experience in water for productive purposes would be aplus
- Experience working with government line ministries, private sector partners, civil society, donors, and local communities
- Demonstrated capacity to liaise and negotiate with key stakeholders in other organizations, such as the GOK as well as to support and supervise staff.
- Experience working with, fostering partnerships, and creating a conducive environment for learning with different stakeholders at various levels including local community members, national and county government personnel, private sector, NGO partners, international donor agencies and other stakeholders.
- Experience in facilitating meetings and events (both online and in-person), with a range of internal and external stakeholders that result in collaborative decision-making and agreed upon action items/ priorities.
- Detailed understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities. CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible. Women are highly encouraged to apply
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Primary Location: EARO-KE-Nairobi City
Job: Program Management
Organization: Catholic Relief Services
Employee Status: Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Posting: Mar 29, 2022, 11:08:43 AM