Department: Government of Yukon -> Environment – ENV-MC-OPS-Hydrology
Location: Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6 CA (Primary)
Job Type: Term/Temporary
End Date: 26 April 2024
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Standard Hours Bi-weekly: 75
Salary: $85,241.00 – $98,915.00
Days Off: Saturday/Sunday
Admissibility: Open to all Candidates, Preference – Canadian Indigenous Ancestry, Preference – Yukon First Nations ancestry
This competition is open to all candidates who meet the above noted Admissibility. A hiring preference will apply for qualified candidates of Canadian Indigenous ancestry, with a priority for qualified Yukon First Nation candidates. This initiative is in support of Yukon government’s goal for a representative public service. For more information on the hiring preference visit www.yukon.ca/hiring-preference.
As per the Government of Yukon’s Public Services (COVID-19) Vaccination Regulation, all public servants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the Government of Yukon. More information can be found here.
Job Summary and Requirements
Project Manager, Flood Mapping – This is a two year TERM position (with possibility of extension)
In this position, you will lead the development of flood maps for the Yukon. This will involve leadership and support in planning, coordination, engagement, and tendering and management of flood studies and mapping contracts.
Flood maps are a key tool that will support emergency response, development planning and reducing community vulnerability to flooding in the face of the Yukon’s changing climate. Several commitments in Yukon’s Climate Change Strategy (Our Clean Future) seek to enhance the tools we use for flood forecasting. Water Resources Branch (WRB) is seeking a collaborative and innovative project manager to lead the development of flood maps for the Yukon.
At the Department of Environment, the WRB works with diverse partners to protect water for the environment and people. We do so by building knowledge generated from our many water monitoring networks, undertaking research and targeted projects and by applying our learnings in the development of plans, policies and by providing expertise through Yukon’s regulatory process and through issuing flood forecasts. We are a committed, collaborative and engaged group of professionals who take pride in water stewardship for all Yukoners.
For information on how to apply for this position, email Human Resources Consultant [email protected] or call (867)667-3018.
For more information about this position, please contact [email protected], Director, at Water Resources Branch.
Essential Qualifications (what we’re looking for in your resume)
Please submit your application clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Upon submission of your application you may be required to complete a questionnaire directly related to the essential qualifications for this position. Please note selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your application.
- Degree in environmental, civil or water resources engineering, environmental sciences, renewable resource management, geography, other related physical sciences (* or equivalent education, training, and/or experience)
- Project management experience
- Experience with tendering and contract administration, including budgets and tracking of expenditures
- Experience working within a multi-stakeholder environment with diverse interests
Assets you can to bring to the position, or, technical knowledge that may be gained include:
- Knowledge of hydrometeorological drivers of high water and flooding events
- Analysis and modelling approaches for flood mapping
- Skills in data analysis, and modelling, and the use of spatial, statistical and database management software.
* Candidates who have education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, to build effective relationships
- Leadership and collaborative capabilities
- Risk management aptitude
- Planning, scheduling and time management skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Cultural aptitude to apply knowledge and interpersonal skills that allow understanding, appreciation, and working closely with individuals from cultures other than their own
Conditions of Employment: Valid Class 5 driver’s licence (or equivalent)
Job Requirements: In territory travel to communities, and fieldwork.
Eligibility List: 12 months
Post Date: 26 March 2022
Close Date: 8 April 2022
Job Description: Job Description – Project Manager (WRB)