Team Leader (m/f/d): Climate Resilient Infrastructure in the River Plate Basin
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organization operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organization’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services participates in the EIB tender procedure “Technical assistance to Fonplata regional framework loan”.
Fonplata is a multilateral financial organization formed by Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Its main objective is to finance projects, especially in vulnerable urban districts, rural areas and border regions that contribute to economic and social growth of its member countries in the River Plate Basin.
EIB and FONPLATA signed an agreement to finance the investments of local, regional and national authorities in the River Plate Basin to promote social, economic and environmental projects with the common goal of strengthening infrastructure facilitating climate change adaptation in both urban and rural areas. It will finance the construction and renovation of public buildings, parks, and street lighting and drainage systems, and bridges.
Fonplata will implement a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to follow up the EIB’s project supported by an external team of consultants with the aim to raise Fonplata’s standards to EU’s level regarding environmental, social, climate and procurement issues. The Technical Assistance will focus on increasing the institution’s transparency policy and promote climate resilience in Fonplata’s portfolio of projects. Support to final beneficiaries in the preparation and implementation of local projects is also part of the service provider’s tasks. These tasks will be implemented within a 4 year period.
The Team Leader (m/f/d) will be responsible for planning and implementation of the project and for guidance and supervision of the Technical Assistance team, consisting of regional and international experts specialized in climate change, environment and social safeguards, procurement, contract management and supervision, as well as project management and monitoring, and of support staff. S/he will coordinate technical and political actors involved to ensure smooth implementation of the program implementation and be responsible for the overall day-to-day management of the program.
- University degree in a relevant discipline (engineering, public administration, economics, or similar), preferably at Master’s level.
- Proven experience in managing Technical Assistance projects with international donors, preferably in Latin America and with a multi-country scope.
- Proven skills and experience in interacting and negotiating at all political levels, both national and local.
- Proven experience in institutional capacity building, preferably also for project implementation / management units (PIU/PMU).
- At least ten years of professional experience in one or several of the relevant fields: infrastructure management, climate change, environment and social safeguards, procurement, contract management and supervision.
- Familiarity with key approaches to Climate Change Adaptation, including climate resilience, climate risk management, climate vulnerability assessment.
- Demonstrated program management skills and and ability both to manage a team and work well across cultural boundaries.
- Experience with technical and financial reporting procedures of IFIs is an asset.
- Knowledge of EIB policies, rules and guidelines in the areas of procurement, environment, social and governance would be an advantage.
- Fully fluent English and Spanish language skills. Skills in Portuguese would be an additional asset.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.
EIB has not yet published the final Terms of Reference. Assignment period, location and the profile described above might be subject to change according to the Terms of Reference.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039