Senior Green Infrastructure Engineer
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Green Infrastructure Engineer position will provide leadership and engineering expertise to an inter-disciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for leading the development and implementation of the City’s Integrated Rainwater Management Plan and Green Infrastructure Strategy.
The Senior Green Infrastructure Engineer will provide private development review and technical expertise and develop a variety of policies, designs, best practices, procedures and programs for implementation to help the City meet the targets set in the Greenest City Action Plan 2020.
The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, green buildings, access to nature in the urban environment, fostering a green economy and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, forward thinking, and engineering policy, planning, design and implementation expertise to a team of highly motivated, inter-disciplinary professionals
- Work cross-functionally with other City departments, external agencies, developers and community stakeholders to develop implementation plan actions, designs, programs and implementation timelines that integrate multiple objectives in key areas such as climate change resilience, transportation planning and design, urban design, rezoning and developments, green jobs, bio-diversity and habitat and community building
- Develop and apply integration and application of rainwater management in development review process to evaluate, and prioritize actions and programs to be included in the Green Infrastructure Implementation Program
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of sewer and drainage engineers, urban form and transportation designers, landscape and ecosystem specialists
- Collaborate on policy and implementation initiatives and guidelines for maintenance of green infrastructure installations related to rainwater management and tools and procedures for integrating green infrastructure into the development review process.
- Develop a framework and processes for integrating green infrastructure in to the City’s asset management programs
- Supervise engineers and other technical staff
- Research best practices around green infrastructure related to rainwater management on private development
- Represent the Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch in departmental and organizational strategic plans and planning programs
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience as a professional engineer or equivalent combination of qualifications and work experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles for integrated rainwater management, green infrastructure planning and design, hydraulics and hydrology
- Experience developing engineering-related policy and implementation plans
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Regional Liquid Waste Management Plan and Provincial and Federal environmental regulations and related municipal responsibilities would be an asset
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment