Water and Sanitation Specialist
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
In Liberia, SI implements the Liberia Strategic Analysis (LSA) activity which provides USAID/Liberia with analytical and advisory services in support of strategic planning, project and activity design, performance monitoring and evaluation, and learning and adapting. LSA’s services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health, education, the environment, and economic growth.
USAID/Liberia has engaged LSA to conduct an external final Performance Evaluation of a community health intervention. The activity aims to strengthen the delivery of high quality community health, water, sanitation and hygiene, and social welfare services by providing technical and operational support to the Ministries of Health, Public Works, and to civil society organizations (CSOs). The purpose of this evaluation is to provide an independent and in-depth examination of the overall progress of the activity in Liberia. In addition to providing a summative overview of lessons learned, the evaluation will also be forward-looking in nature. The evaluation will serve as an evidence base for new community health activity designs, identifying existing gaps and needs in the community health sector with recommendations on a way forward.
The estimated start date will be April 8 through July 2019. The estimated LOE will be 45 days.
Deadline for applications: March 8, 2019
SI is seeking a Water and Sanitation Specialist who will be supporting the evaluation team. The Water and Sanitation Specialist will be working alongside three team members: a team leader, one technical specialist, and an evaluation specialist.
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
- Provide technical expertise on water and sanitation and support the Team Leader's efforts in evaluation design, methodology, and data collection instruments.
- Schedule and interview key stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Provide ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Support the preparation and presentation of the key findings and recommendations to USAID/Liberia.
- Write assigned section of the draft evaluation report in coordination with the team members, taking into consideration feedback from the preliminary findings presentation.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other's areas of expertise.
- Must have at least eight years of experience designing, implementing, and evaluating community-led WASH activities in developing countries, preferably through USAID.
- Should have a background in capacity building of water and sanitation personnel and implementing infrastructure development and maintenance in close coordination with government institutions.
- Experience in conducting cost-effectiveness studies is desirable.
- Must hold an advanced degree in a discipline related to Community Health, Water and Sanitation, International Development, research, or related field.
- Previous work experience conducting mixed-method evaluations in West Africa is preferred.
- Must be able to conduct interviews and focus group discussions and analyze the resulting data.
- Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and procedures is desirable.
- Must have exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.