Serves as a Hydrologic Technician performing hydrologic support and administrative duties at the Presidio Field Office, Water Accounting Division, Operations Department, United States Section, International Boundary and Water Commission (USIBWC).
- Performs routine water-level and discharge measurements from wells and springs.
- Performs routine field water-quality measurements such as water temperature, specific conductance, pH, dissolved oxygen, and alkalinity.
- Observes and notes hydraulic or environmental conditions.
- Installs, maintains, services, and troubleshoots sensing, recording and communications equipment and instrumentation.
- Assists in the construction and removal of gages and supporting structures.
- Identifies and procures materials for construction and repair jobs.
- Operates a government vehicle and ensures safety of vehicle operations.
- construction materials, and supplies.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or Naturalized U.S. Citizen.
- MERIT CANDIDATES ONLY: You must meet one or more criteria in the Area of Consideration section.
- You must obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation.
- You may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
- You must maintain direct deposit of your Federal pay.
- You must possess and maintain a valid U.S. Motor Vehicle Driver License, without impeding restrictions, and issued by a U.S. state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory.
- You must successfully complete a pre-employment medical exam.
- You must be able to lift and carry up to 44 pounds unassisted, 45 pounds and over assisted; and sustain periods of substantial walking, bending, stooping, standing, crouching, stretching, and reaching.
- You may be exposed to viruses and bacteria; upon your request, you may receive preventative vaccinations against Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Typhoid Fever, Tuberculosis, and Tetanus.
- You will be required to complete an Immunization Declaration Form.
- You may be required to enter Mexico to carry out official agency business
- You may be required to operate a boat in open water and wading streams, and in various types of water and flow conditions.
Qualifications must be met by 04/08/2022
Minimum Qualification Requirement – Applicants must meet all qualifications by the closing date of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Specialized Experience: Experience that equips the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA’s) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Defined as: collecting hydrologic field measurements (i.e. stage, level, discharge); installing and utilizing weirs, flumes, or velocity sensors to collect hydrologic data; operating automated hydrologic or water quality sampling equipment such as automated samplers; analyzing water quantity or water quality data using specialized software; identifying and procuring materials for construction and repair jobs; working as a technician or aid in engineering earth, physical or natural science, forestry, soil conservation, surveying, trades or crafts work in maintenance or construction of facilities or equipment related to hydrology, drafting, construction estimating; and operating a government vehicle and ensuring safety of vehicle operations.
If you are qualifying based on Education:
For GG-8: 2 full years of graduate level education or a Master’s degree, if directly related to the position, related degrees may include agricultural engineering, environmental science, or natural resources.
Special Factor(s): The following factors are agency unique for the Delegated Examining Office (DEO) to use in its evaluation. A selective placement factor (SPF) is a specific qualification an applicant must possess to successfully perform in a position. A quality ranking factor (QRF) is a specific qualification an applicant may possess that would enhance performance in a position.
Quality Ranking Factor (QRF): Possess knowledge of conversational Spanish sufficient to converse with stakeholders, landowners, and officials of the Mexican government regarding topics pertaining to the field office mission.
For MP Applicants Only
Time in Grade (TIG): Current or former Federal employees must have a minimum of 52 weeks at the next lower grade level to be eligible under Merit Promotion procedures. An SF-50 must be provided that verifies eligibility as stated in the Area of Consideration section.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management’s website: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications
Your resume must have complete information: Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
Part-Time or Unpaid Experience: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid work on the same basis as for paid experience. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. To receive credit for such experience you must indicate clearly the nature of the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the number of hours per week spent in such employment.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:
- To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a Federal job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming veterans’ preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (member-4 copy) or other proof of eligibility that shows the dates you were on active duty and your character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are claiming Disabled Veterans’ preference you must also submit documentation of disability (i.e. VA Disability Verification Letter) and the SF-15, “Application for 10-Point Veterans’ Preference.” For more information on veterans’ preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov ).
- The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be rated in well-qualified by scoring 85 or higher on the assessment for this vacancy. Additional information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- The hiring agency may use this announcement to fill similar positions that become vacant in the near future.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a qualifications review will be conducted. Resumes and supporting documents will be reviewed to verify eligibility and determine qualifications. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your rating will be based on the responses to the assessment questionnaire and the information provided in your resume. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. This could cause you to lose consideration for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on your entire application and the extent to which you demonstrate the following competencies and/or knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Applying Technology to Tasks
- Hydrologic Duties
- Interpreting Hydrologic Data
- Safety Procedures
All applicants are required to submit the following documents:
- Resume: Your resume must state complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package will be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
- Completed occupational questionnaire.
- License: You MUST submit a copy of your valid driver license, without impeding restrictions, and issued by a U.S. state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory or you will be rated ineligible.
- College transcripts: if using education to meet a qualifications requirement, you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible.
- Proof of eligibility for merit promotion as described under the Area of Consideration section: Current or former federal civilian employees MUST submit an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, indicating the title, series, grade, appointing authority, and tenure to verify eligibility for merit promotion appointment.
- Copy of Federal Performance Appraisal/Evaluation: If you are claiming Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP) eligiblity, you must submit a copy of your most current Federal performance appraisal/evaluation..
- Veterans’ Preference Documentation (if applicable): All Veterans: DD-214 (Member 4 copy is preferred), which includes character of service, or for Active Duty Service Members a certification which includes service dates, type of separation, and character of service. A “certification” is a written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
- Disabled Veterans: VA Disability Letter (with percentage of disability) OR document of disability determination from a branch of the armed forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability rating.
- Derived Preference: The spouse, widow/widower, or mother of a veteran may be eligible to claim veterans’ preference when the veteran is unable to use it. To do so, you must submit an SF-15 www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf and the documentation required by that form.Veterans’ Preference: For more information and/or to determine if you are eligible for Veterans’ Preference, please visit www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx (for veterans) or www.fedshirevets.gov/job/familypref/index.aspx (for family members). Below is a website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214 online: www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ and the documentation required by that form.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 04/08/2022 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11434180
Agency contact information
Email: [email protected]
United States Section, International Boundary and Water Commission
4191 N. Mesa Street
El Paso, TX 79902
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon your score, you may be referred to the hiring official. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview.
You will receive status notifications through Application Manager or via email within 4-6 weeks.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.