UK nationals: Senior Officer (Water Resources)
We are the Environment Agency. We protect and improve the environment, helping to ensure that people can enjoy it. We look after the water and air environment, and land quality, promoting sustainable land management and helping protect and enhance wildlife habitats. We also work closely with businesses, enabling them to operate whilst complying with relevant environmental regulations.
The National Permitting Service has accountability for delivering the majority of the Environment Agency permitting/licencing responsibilities. Our service includes nearly 500 people, offering technical challenges and significant opportunities.
We’re looking for two permanent Senior Officer who will be based in the Water Resources permitting team at Warrington.
As a Senior Officer you’ll provide high level advice, support and coaching to team members ensuring decisions are made on sound technical grounds in line with best practice. We are looking for a technical leader, encouraging applications from related Water Resources disciplines to nurture and grow our technical skills as well as your own.
Crucially you will have good communication and be a collaborative team player. Essentially making our processes more efficient, improve ways of working, make risk based decisions and continuously drive down our end to end times for our customers.
You’ll join a small evolving permitting team, of newer/established team members dealing with a range of permitting activities, providing a great opportunity to further your career. With a real mix of experience, we deal with small farm holdings up to Nuclear power stations. Supporting businesses throughout England whilst crucially delivering for the environment. Enabling fish passage, wetland and habitat creation, reducing abstraction in sensitive areas and delivering the recent drought permits to protect the environment.
- A successful Senior Officer will need experience in Water Resources or wider related Environmental Management and a degree (or equivalent) in a Science or humanities subject as well as experience of assessing a range of complex permits. The following is also essential;
- Experience of Water Resources or a related subject
- Drive for risk based decision making/continuous improvement
- Good communication, organisation and planning skills
- A good team player and strength in positive collaborative working
- Good coaching skills and the ability to explain complex issues to people with a range of experience
- Technical Leadership to support NPS business aims
- Excellent customer relation skills
- Ability to develop technical and personal skills within a team
A thorough knowledge of relevant legislation
The ability to work collaboratively with others both internally and externally
Experience of dealing with sites of high public interest or complex applications is desirable as is a thorough knowledge of relevant legislation.
Contact and additional information
Closing Date: 13th March 2019 at 23:55 hours For further information, please contact: Rob McHale, Permitting Team Leader – 020302 50964 – . The candidate information pack contains further information. Please note the role will primarily be office based, although infrequent travel will be required to attend meetings or training.