This is a fulltime position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Project Directorate’s mission is to provide independent economic and technical advice to the EIB’s decision makers on the quality of investment projects submitted to the Bank as well as advising promoters on the development and implementation of projects. Moreover it informs the sector policies of the Bank in line with the pursuit of its overall policy mission. To accomplish its role, PJ is mainly staffed with sector experts (Engineers, Economists, Environmental and Social experts), who work together in multi-disciplinary project teams, and in close contact with the other EIB operational services.
The Water Management Division is looking for a Water Sector Economist who will contribute to the overall appraisal of loan proposals. The Sector Economist will focus predominantly on the economic, financial and closely related aspects of capital investment projects and programmes in the sectors of water supply, wastewater, flood management in all countries where the Bank operates.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of the WATER Division and work in close contact with the other engineers and economists of the Environment and Sustainable Territorial Development Department. Familiarity with technical, operational and environmental aspects of the sector would be advantageous.
- Assess the economic and financial viability of water investment projects and programmes in the countries in which the Bank operates, within and outside the EU
- Prepare incisive appraisal and monitoring reports of projects and programmes.
- Assist in the identification of new projects and early screening of investments.
- Assist in the identification of climate action components of the projects.
- Maintain knowledge on water sector issues in the countries of responsibility.
- Identify and manage technical assistance for the preparation or implementation support of projects
- Contribute to the preparation of sector studies, country/sector briefings and sector strategies, as required
- Co-operate on sector strategies and project development with the Lending Directorates, the European Commission and International Financial Institutions
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in economics. Equivalent qualification in engineering, complemented by studies in economics may also be appropriate. An education background related to water and/or a post graduate degree would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in the water sector. International experience, particularly in less developed countries would be an advantage
- Practical sector experience covering cost/benefit analysis, cash flow modelling, valuation of externalities, willingness to pay, affordability issues
- Experience in issues of institutional frameworks, sector regulation, tariff setting mechanisms, service models including PPP’s, utility management
- Knowledge of the risk analysis including exposure to project finance operations
- Experience in preparing and reviewing feasibility and sector studies
- Good understanding of both climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and a good command of the other*. Working knowledge of other European languages would be an advantage.
- Commitment: Aligns behaviour with the interests of the EIB in a committed way and supports diversity policies
- Teamwork and Communication: Takes a co-operative approach within the team, sharing knowledge and information. Seeks to promote harmony within the team and contribute to team processes. Capacity to co-ordinate activities across multi-disciplinary teams
- Reliability: Demonstrates a focus on achieving results and objectives. Meets commitments and takes responsibility for personal performance. Capacity to plan and organise his/her work, and ability to work under pressure
- Integrity: Maintains high standards of honesty and trustworthiness. Considers ethical implications of issues and decisions
- Good analytical and reasoning skills with a strong capacity to provide sound judgement concerning the issues in his/her area of responsibilities
- Strong drafting skills: ability to draft clear and concise reports. Rigorous and able to produce accurate and reliable documents.
- Capacity to develop and to audit cash flow models in excel
- Ability to rapidly distill the essentials from large amounts of information
- Ability to work with limited information available on the projects
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
Deadline for applications: 9th of October 2016
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.
Apply online via the ‘Apply’ button.
Agency calls are not appreciated.
Keywords: Job vacancy, Full-time, Luxembourg, Finance, Water sector expert.