With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
Under the direct supervision of the UNICEF WASH Project Coordinator, the WaSH Services and Operations Team Lead role is to manage, coach and direct the services and operations teams which consists of Officers, Assistants, and community mobilizers working for the WASH UNICEF funded project in the Bekaa. The incumbent will be accountable for quality of all wash services provided to beneficiaries and all related corresponding deliverables. S/he will oversee all teams activities, including planning, implementation, and monitoring stages of projects within the available capabilities and resources, and manage the day to day activities of the team members.
% of time Activity End Results
55% Lead, Plan and Coordinate Services and Operations Unit Activities
• Manage and lead the WaSH Services and Operations unit and act as the accountable focal point of all related unit activities of the UNICEF Beqaa Project.
• With the support of Project Coordinator, and close coordination with the WASH Specialist plan the project’s activities in order to ensure quality of World Vision’s WASH programs intervention.
• Follow up on all necessary procurements related to the project, as well as with potential contractors, as relevant and based on WVL procuring standards.
• Supervise, monitor and finalize all implementation plans including, work and distribution plans, tender documents and procurement plans.
• Oversee the water provision and desludging services provision plans and plan the distribution of WASH items as per set criteria.
• Ensure implementing projects as per the WVL WaSH SOPs and standardize forms to be used for site inspection.
• Ensure work is carried out as per project standards and quality requirements.
• Oversee project’s procurement requests and needs according to the developed procurement plan.
• Monitor teams activities and ensure its delivery within time and budget.
• Act as emergency focal point especially during winter and lead the provision of the dewatering and flooding response activities.
• Ensure that Means of Verifications are carefully validated and filed.
• Follow up on referrals and ensure that the needed services are provided, prepare timely replies accordingly, and keep a detailed tracking.
• Lead WaSH assessments (internal and external) and evaluations including identifying problems and proposing alternatives.
• Check services quality, data management spreadsheets and databases.
• Maintain close coordination with WVL WaSH Specialist and Data Management unit in the Beqaa and the WASH MEL unit.
• Conduct regular inspection visits to the field to assess the work quality.
• Check and validate individual’s reports and outputs before submission especially to external stakeholders.
• Ensure work is carried out as per the community needs and project standards and in close coordination with the local government representatives and partners.
• Set the weekly/monthly plan of all the work activities for all WaSH Services and Operations projects.
• Monitor spending and track the “target achieved vs. indicators” and adjust field activities accordingly.
• Keep good communication and participate actively with donor technical discussion and design workshops.
• Identify risks and put the necessary mitigation plans while engaging the needed internal colleagues.
• When needed, liaise with the municipalities in which activities are planned to take place with proper engagement of partner and any critical stakeholders in each community.
• Secure necessary approvals prior to the implementation of project activities.
• Build and maintain healthy relationships with local actors covered in the project (shop owners, municipality staff, etc.).
• Plans are in place and updated regularly to ensure projects’ services and operations activities are completed on time and within budget.
• Monitoring and tracking tools are in place and being used to ensure progress tracking and reporting.
• Participate at the task force groups and coordination meeting as needed.
• Project progress is regularly and accurately reported to Project Coordinator for decision making and accountability.
• Ensure that spending is in line with the cost forecast.
• Good relationships are maintained with the respective municipalities.
• Necessary approvals are secured.
• Good relationships are established with the donor, host community and all other parties where applicable.
• Close coordination with WVL WaSH Specialist and Data Management unit is maintained,
40% Manage Services and Operations Teams:
• Provide overall management and supervision for all team members.
• Allocate tasks to officers and monitor their performance according to the work priorities and donor requirements.
• Follow up on teams’ daily activities and direct their efforts as needed.
• Coach, support and motivate the Services and Operations teams ensuring quality performance of their tasks.
• Conduct performance agreements and performance reviews.
• Ensure optimization of subordinates’ potentials;
• Track team efficiency and log the time needed on each project.
• Ensure regular coaching and capacity building of program team.
• Act accountable for all the outcomes of the services and operations activities and data.
5% Perform other duties as required
• Attend services related meetings with sector, donors, and local authorities.
• Attend and participate in capacity building trainings locally and internationally.
• Attend and participate in WVL’s spiritual nurture and other organizational events.
• Responsible of own security and actively contribute to a positive security culture.
• Report CP incidents as per the safeguarding policy guidelines.
• Abide by the security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line manager and / or security manager.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Line Manager.
KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE
Required Professional Experience • 4 years of experience working in NGOs WASH sector.
• Previous experience working in refugee camps.
• Previous experience in leading and managing multiple teams.
• Previous experience working in water, sanitation, health a/o waste management projects.
• Previous experience in planning, implementation, and quality assurance.
• Ability to review and write reports and review budgets.
• Ability to manage data effectively.
• Relevant experience in relief and development project implementation.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to cope and work under pressure.
• Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural and difficult / sensitive contexts.
• Has strong knowledge of core principles of Children Rights, Participation, Do No Harm, as well as SPHERE standards.
• Bachelor Degree or Post-graduate Diploma in management, or any related field of studies.
• Driving License.
• Working knowledge of providing WaSH services such as water trucking, desludging, dewatering and emergency response.
• Knowledge in solid waste management and treatment solutions.
• Familiarity with QA/QC procedures.
• 60% office work 40% field work
• Position requires willingness and ability to continue to function during a crisis situation, including during a World Vision response to a manmade or natural disaster.
• Field visits are part of the job
• Good written and oral communication skills (English and Arabic).
Applicant Types Accepted: Local Applicants Only