Strengthening targeted national capacities for improved decision making and mainstreaming of global environmental obligations
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), acting as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is providing assistance to the Government of Sudan in the implementation of the GEF Medium Size Project (MSP) “Strengthening national capacities for improved decision-making and mainstreaming of global environmental obligations”. Sudan fully committed to meet its obligations under the Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs), with this project (among other related projects) intended to facilitate an important step towards developing the capacities in Sudan for an effective national environmental management framework.
This Cross-Cutting Capacity Development (CCCD) project provides an opportunity to strengthen Sudan’s institutional capacities to meet and sustain Rio Convention obligations. This project directly addresses three main categories of articles under the three Rio Conventions, i.e., UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (Articles 4 and 5); UN Convention on Biological Diversity (Articles 12, 14, 17 and 26) and UN Convention to Combat Desertification (Articles 9, 10 and 16). The project will be implemented through three strategically linked components, each of which contains a set of outputs with their respective activities.
At the end of the project, each of the three components will result in an expected outcome, namely: 1) Environmental governance is improved through strengthened policy coordination, 2) Global environmental governance is decentralized, and 3) Environmental attitudes and values for the global environment are improved. The proposed project conforms to the GEF CCCD Strategy, specifically operational frameworks 2, 3, and; 4. The project will take an adaptive collaborative management approach that engages stakeholders as collaborators in the design and implementation of project activities that take into account unintended consequences that could arise from policy interventions. The project's strategy of pursuing socio-economic and environmental mainstreaming at the national and sub-national level is in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective and Scope of Work
The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide advisory services and technical assistance to the project team. The tasks of the Technical Backstopping Advisor are focused on ensuring that the implementation of the technical aspects of the project is on a right track.
Chief Technical Advisor will be recruited for an estimated 180 days over the four years of project implementation to provide necessary technical advisory services on the implementation and adaptive collaborative management of key project activities. These services will be provided over the course of the four-year implementation period, ending Dec 2022, to provide technical backstopping to help ensure the timely and high-quality project delivery.
Scope of Works:
The consultant will work under direct supervision of the Project Manager. S/he will work closely with the Project Manager and relevant staff to provide:
Support in coordination and planning by:
- Guiding and assisting in overall technical management of the project and ensuring that deliverables are of appropriate quality;
- Guiding and assisting in the development of ToRs for national and international technical experts and organizations;
- Advising during recruiting process on the selection of external technical experts and organizations, as needed;
- Guiding and assisting in organizing technical committee meetings and stakeholder workshops (reviewing and commenting on the agenda, list of participants, meeting reports/minutes etc);
- Advising on addressing critical situations, emerging or potential risks for achieving the project technical outputs, outcomes and objective during implementation of project, as needed;
- Advising on reporting to the project board on the progress of implementation of the project and organization of technical meetings, as needed;
- Participating /contributing to the project planning/design of annual work plan;
Guidance and technical expertise by:
- Reviewing and commenting on assessment methodologies or assisting on development of assessment/report as needed
- Reviewing and revising work plan prepared under contractual services;
- Reviewing and commenting on prepared assessments/analysis and other reports;
Consultancy on monitoring and evaluation by:
- Support to the preparation of project progress/monitoring/review reports as well as information releases in accordance with UNDP/GEF rules and procedures. Particular attention will be given to supporting the collection of project performance indicators in accordance with the requirements under the Integrated Results and Resources Framework.