About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global nonprofit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation: Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
About the Safe Water team
Our flagship Dispensers for Safe Water (DSW) provides over 4 million people across rural Uganda, Malawi, and Kenya. Recent evidence highlights that clean water may be among the most effective interventions available to save young childrens’ lives, averting more than 30% of all-cause child mortality. The dispensers program – based on research for Nobel-winning economists – utilizes an innovative and human-centric design to deliver clean water at the source in rural settings, achieving usage rates which are 5x that of comparable interventions. We are currently incubating a next generation technology, in-line chlorination (ILC) that targets peri-urban communities. We are seeking to pilot and scale this program in early 2022. We are also actively seeking to build a broader portfolio of safe water interventions.
Given the tremendous benefits of safe water, Evidence Action is building a team to rapidly expand our clean water interventions geographically. This new team will evaluate new countries for expansion of safe water programming with a mandate to identify 2-3 new countries by the end of 2022, with the expectation that each country would provide safe water access to millions of people.
There is some flexibility on location, though the preference is for these roles to be based in sub-saharan Africa, particularly in existing Evidence Action geographies: Abuja, Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Lilongwe, Malawi; or Kampala, Uganda. Washington, DC would also be acceptable, though of lower preference. All candidates should expect extensive travel (25% or more).
- Manage effort to identify new countries for expansion of safe water programming.
- Engage with donor, government and other major partners to get buy-in and develop formal relationships.
- Leverage network connections and partnerships to advance organizational priorities.
- Quickly establish rapport and build relationships that can be translated into plans of action.
- Deliver team work plan, integrating operational and analytical inputs.
- Design programs with data-driven, cost-effective approach, in close consultation with program and technical teams.
- Create clear and thoughtful written content, compelling policy and design content for external stakeholders.
- Active coordination across Evidence Action teams and regions.
- Build, manage, and develop a high-performing team.
- Manage budget and reporting requirements.
- Ensure organizational risks are identified and mitigated.
- Navigate dynamic circumstances and ambiguity while achieving timely results.
- 7-10 years experience in diverse, global contexts; Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Expertise in building and maintaining strong relationships with government officials and communicating technical information to general audiences.
- Excellent project and people management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to collaborate across teams and navigate complex organizational systems and relationships.
- Adapts quickly to new and dynamic contexts.
- Strong alignment with core values of Evidence Action.
- Eager to join a growing team and organization in a role requiring extensive (25%) travel.
- Experience with the global WASH sector highly preferred.
- French fluency preferred.