Science Director in India
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
TNC-The Nature Conservancy Centre is a subsidiary of TNC. It is a Section 8 Company incorporated in India in 2017 with the objective of advancement of India’s environmental goals as they relate to conserving water, improving air and lands and conserving India’s rich and sacred natural heritage through a science-based non-confrontational approach. TNC-The Nature Conservancy Centre is also registered under Section 12A and 80G of Income Tax Act. Visit www.tncindia.in to learn more.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Science Director provides strategic technical, scientific and monitoring and evaluation leadership and acts as a subject matter expert (SME) and Senior Scientist. They supervise and manage a team of three staff providing expertise across a range of disciplines to the programs team (focused on freshwater conservation, land related climate solutions and nature-linked cities infrastructure).
The Science Director advises Senior Leaders and Managers on broad and complex aspects of science based initiatives. They develop and monitor the implementation of a strategic science vision for applied Conservation Science that is aligned with The Nature Conservancy’s Global Challenges Global Solutions Framework. The Science Director directly supervises Head, GIS, and an Ecological Economist and works closely with Director of Programs and individual program team members to ensure scientific rigor in work plans and projects. The Science Director also conducts original research and publishes findings to add to the body of Conservation Science knowledge and supports TNC-India’s organizational goals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Work across TNC-India’s program priorities, director of programs, and thematic program and project leads to integrate sound science
- Collaborate with the science community to enhance the conservation practices of TNC-India’s projects including its partners and help establish TNC as a leader in Conservation Science.
- Resolve large-scale, complex problems through systematic and thorough studies.
- Propose strategy and implement procedures to enhance scientific performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives or program leaders.
- Manage staff including setting their performance objectives and supporting their development and rating.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major donors in support of program activities.
- Persuasively convey the mission of TNC to diverse groups including major donors, corporate executives, board members and others critical to the organizational overall prosperity.
- Ability to travel up to 50% in India and internationally and may work in variable weather conditions at remote locations, hazardous terrain and/or under physically demanding circumstances.
- PhD in science related field, preferably conservation science, and 8 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, coaching, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience building relationships.
- Experience conducting original research and publishing in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Experience fundraising and/or writing grants and research proposals.
- Experience designing, organizing and directing complex multiple projects of strategic importance and leading a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience synthesizing and integrating research findings and lessons learned.
- Experience communicating and presenting next steps and strategy to senior management.
- PhD with experience of 10 years and above
- Experience advancing science from research to application on the ground and/or in policies
- Experience developing measurement and evaluation frameworks for projects
- Experience working in different regions of India and/or internationally
- Knowledge of Hindi and/or other regional languages
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Strong knowledge of common software applications.
- Ability to formulate and evaluate broad policies.
- Ability to make independent decisions based on incomplete or ambiguous information and accepts associated risks.
- Strong strategic thinker and advanced analytical ability.
- Ability to develop work plans and project budgets.
- Ability to network extensively in scientific communities and maintain strong relationships.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 47274, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on March 1, 2019.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact .