Established in 1966, Riverkeeper is an independent, member supported environmental organization whose mission is to protect the environmental, recreational, and commercial integrity of the Hudson River and its tributaries, and to safeguard the drinking water supply of nine million New Yorkers. For more information, visit www.riverkeeper.org.
Riverkeeper seeks an entry level attorney for its Legal Program, reporting to the Legal Program Director. The Associate Staff Attorney will contribute to Riverkeeper’s presence and effectiveness in the Hudson River, its tributaries, and the watershed that provides New York City’s drinking water. As part of the legal team, the Attorney will advance Riverkeeper’s policy goals of fishable, swimmable waterways, and clean drinking water through litigation, advocacy, public education, and public outreach. The position requires significant travel throughout the Hudson River Valley, and a commitment to attend meetings and appointments that may be outside of normal business hours.
Riverkeeper is looking for a qualified environmental attorney with an exceptional commitment to the environment and a strong academic and experiential-learning record. Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
All candidates must:
- Be admitted to practice law in New York State, or be qualified to be admitted upon motion, or sit for the next administration of the New York State bar exam if necessary;
- Have a strong commitment to Riverkeeper’s mission and goals and possess a general familiarity with non-profit environmental organizations;
- Demonstrate familiarity with federal administrative and environmental law;
- Have at least 1-3 years of relevant legal experience;
- Have excellent writing, research and communication skills;
- Be energetic, creative, well organized, independent, hard-working, personable, and have a sense of humor; and
- Be able to maintain a flexible work schedule, be willing to work some evenings, and frequently travel throughout the Hudson Valley for meetings.
Candidates will be preferred who also have:
- Training or experience in environmental policy and/or litigation;
- Training or experience in public oral advocacy;
- Training or experience with the Clean Water Act, RCRA, NEPA, NY SEQRA, CERCLA, and/or the Atomic Energy Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit your résumé, cover letter and writing sample, not to exceed ten pages. Please write ASSOCIATE STAFF ATTORNEY in the subject line. Phone calls will not be accepted.