Senior Flood Risk Consultant / Engineer
We have an excellent opportunity for a highly-motivated individual to play an important role within our growing Water Resources Team. Increasing demands for our services have created an opportunity in Cambridge or St Albans to be involved in the delivery of major schemes and provide professional services within the water sectors. We are looking for a Senior Flood Risk Consultant / Engineer, capable of working independently with initiative and able to lead projects, designs or teams where required.
Key responsibilities will include providing flood risk management and drainage advice to clients such as Local Authorities, Environment Agency, Highways England, water companies, and private companies.
Typical projects may include: flood investigations, feasibility and strategy studies, SWMPs, outline business case development, technical lead and review of flood mitigation proposals, undertaking SFRAs and FRAs, and SuDS design advice. There may be opportunities to support Research and Development projects and national frameworks such as NGSA (WEM successor). The role will support senior staff in undertaking business development through a range of activities.
Specific Skills Required
- Able to take responsibility for producing and checking reports and designs (where appropriate)
- Detailed knowledge of some or all of the following;
- Water Resource Planning Guidelines, Water Framework Directive (WFD) and a desire to develop new approaches;
- UK legislation affecting flooding, surface water management, water resource planning and risk management agencies;
- Delivering FCERM activities for or on behalf of the Environment Agency and a Lead Local Flood Authority
- Providing consultation responses to planning applications on behalf of a flood risk or water authority
- General knowledge/understanding of water and wastewater infrastructure, able to communicate with Stakeholders in these fields.
- Understanding of hydrology and hydraulic assessment
- The use of ISIS/Tuflow, Flood Modeller and Infoworks ICM
- Knowledge of SuDS design and appropriate application
- Ability to work autonomously, showing initiative to complete tasks and deliver projects successfully to programme and budget.
- Experience of working within multidisciplinary teams.
- Relevant experience of delivering projects identified in the ‘Job Duties’ section.
- Excellent communication skills and able to represent AECOM in client facing roles at all levels.
- Degree or Masters in Civil/Environmental Engineering or another relevant discipline. Alternative qualifications may be considered where a candidate can demonstrate significant relevant experience.
- Ideally the candidate will be in the advanced stages of becoming a Chartered Member of a relevant professional body.
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.