Somalia nationals: WASH Assistant
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required.
Contract Duration: 10 Months
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ordinary National Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies
- Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of In particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Computer literate
- A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
- Knowledge of the operating context in South and Central Somalia
- Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
- Knowledge of Somali language and its different dialects
- Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Influencing skills and experience in advocacy.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position