Responsible for implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) program portfolio and collaborating with other WASH Program team members and partners to ensure standardized high-quality approaches across all of WASH projects. Facilitate assessments, design and implementation of WASH activities as part of emergency response to the conflict in North East Syria. Work closely with all team also with Procurement, Logistics, Finance and Safety and Security focal points to ensure a rapid, appropriate and effective WASH program is implemented.
Program Planning and Implementation:
- Oversee and manage the work of WASH Officer(s) according to work plans ensuring on-going, regular technical support to WASH team and/or implementing partners for WASH activities are completed effectively and in a timely manner;
- Coordinate and contribute with WASH team members to make sure technical designs of WASH projects are adhering the minimum standards and implemented according to the level of quality required;
- Support WASH team to ensure they have detailed implementation plans, procurement plans and MEAL plans in place and assist them to continually improve and enhance planning efforts;
- Work closely with WASH Program Manager to draft budgets, oversee financial reporting and ensure regular submission of program financial reports and accruals to finance and grants team, including preparation of costed work plans to support program manager to review monthly BVAs (Budget vs Actuals);
- Work closely with WASH Program Manager to provide accountability and oversight for project budgets including identifying projected overspending or under-spending in advance and collaborate with the WASH Program Manager toward determining a resolution;
- Support WASH Program Officer(s) in establishing WASH Management Committees and ensure effective workplans and regular communications are in place.
Assessments and Information Management:
- Ensure existing tools/approaches are aligned and applied appropriately, while providing WASH sectoral expertise during assessments, particularly WASH rapid needs assessments (RNA), Multi Sector Needs Assessments (MSNA), and Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) surveys;
- Oversee coordination with and provide support to WSAH team to conduct RNAs and to determine priorities and immediate activities and resources, specifically the provision of more strategic and detailed assessments rather than ad-hoc requests for WASH assistance;
- Oversee the translation of assessment tools where required, especially for use by field staff and partners (if applicable);
- Undertake the data analysis of assessment findings and prepare appropriate WASH reports for internal and external sharing.
Capacity Building of Field level WASH Teams
- Identify and assess capacity building needs and prepare technical capacity building plan;
- Lead and coordinate WASH training and capacity building for WASH team in relevant areas, including Water Safety Plans (water quality testing and monitoring), hygiene promotion/community mobilisation and gender minimum commitments;
- Review and develop appropriate tools to enable WASH team to deliver, monitor, evaluate and report on WASH activities.
Program Development, MEAL and Reporting:
- Ensure effective monitoring of WASH activities and WASH indicator tracking, working in collaboration with WASH Officer(s) and the MEAL team including sharing data as necessary ensuring beneficiary databases, forms, and situation reports are updated accurately and in a timely manner;
- Provide inputs for WASH program manager to prepare donor reports for WASH projects and WASH activities of multi-sector projects, including technical input to support the development of concept papers, sub-grant agreements, budgets and proposals in respect of the above;
- Ensure that Issues of protection, gender, DRR and environmental impact, operation and maintenance and sustainability are factored into the program design; Sphere standards, both qualitative and quantitative, are considered in program design, and any departures are documented.
- Ensure inputs to UN and INGO coordination mechanisms are updated and submitted timely (4Ws) including inputs for situation reports that are updated and submitted on time;
- Represent the organization on meeting with local partners, governmental and non-governmental groups as requested.
KEY REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University graduate with degree preferably in Environmental Engineering (water and sanitation) or Civil Engineering with relevant WASH specialization;
- 3-4 years technical WASH experience in program implementation (hydrology, hydrogeology, water quality testing, waste management, water treatment and distribution, hygiene promotion methodologies);
- Equivalent combination of education in relevant field and substantial experience of 3-4 years in management level will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned educational background requirement;
- More than 3 years of experience working for International and/or Local NGOs;
- Humanitarian aid experience in the WASH sector applied in emergency response operations, including program development, project and budget management, and reporting;
- Strong Arabic and English communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to present concise reports, reflecting the problems, as well as potential solutions;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in capacity building and/or training;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- A high level of awareness of environmental health issues as applied to emergency settings, with special attention to the needs of women and children and people living with disabilities with sound understanding of the importance of gender and participation in humanitarian work;
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations;
- Strong computer program skills (esp. Excel, Word, Power Point);
- Strong skills/ability to conduct data analysis and understanding of monitoring tools and approaches;
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and respect local cultures.