WASH NTD Landscape Analysis
Background of consultancy
The consultant will conduct a landscape analysis of WASH and NTDs in Zambia with focus on the behaviour change and wash interventions and initiatives aimed at accelerating the elimination and control of NTDs.
Brief presentation of Sightsavers work on NTDs in Zambia
Sightsavers has been supporting Trachoma elimination in Zambia since 2012 using the WHO recommended SAFE strategy. In order to accelerate the elimination of Trachoma, improved water supply, hygiene and improved sanitation are key. Sightsavers has supported behaviour change campaigns aimed at encouraging behaviour that prioritises facial cleanliness and environmental improvement, a key component of the SAFE strategy that ensures elimination thresholds are sustained by preventing further transmission of Trachoma.
Objective of the consultancy
The following terms of reference are for a short-term consultancy. Sightsavers Zambia seeks a consultant to conduct a WASH NTD landscape for Zambia.
Scope of consultants’ work
Develop a clear timeline for conducting the Landscape Analysis, including a communication plan for keeping all program stakeholders apprised of progress.
- Undertake desk review of existing studies, campaigns, white-papers, WASH, Behaviour Change, and NTD plans (national, sub-national), gap analyses that underpin national WASH and NTD efforts to date.
- Work with relevant members of established county-, region- and/or district-level NTD Task Forces and WASH teams to identify and review all relevant WASH strategies currently in place.
- Meet with representatives of the following entities to discuss their knowledge of, experience with, and any materials they may have in relation to WASH activities undertaken or being undertaken in and around the geographic areas supported by the Program:
- Implementing Partners;
- National, Regional and/or District-level NTD Task Force teams;
- Other national, regional and/or district level formal WASH groups or organizations; and
- Organisations / Agencies engaging in behaviour change interventions and initiatives.
- These discussions should also gather input from these representatives regarding what works, what doesn’t work and why (in both cases) with regards to WASH and behaviour change initiatives.
- Incorporate Program stakeholder input / feedback into a Landscape Analysis
The detailed methodology for the landscape analysis will be developed by the consultant and approved by Sightsavers. A template will be provided to the consultant guiding the research and structure of the final report.
At a minimum the evaluation should draw on;
- Existing data through a desk review of literature
- Interviews, workshops and focus group discussion with stakeholders
Expected outputs/ deliverables
- Inception report including detailed methodology and schedule of the analysis
- Intermittent report including provisional findings ( excluding annexes)
- Final report as per approved outline
- Weekly check in (skype) with ESCA NTD Regional Program Officer
- Oral presentation of the analysis findings to stakeholders
Supervision of the consultant
The consultant will be under direct supervision of the Sightsavers staff: ECSA NTD Regional programme officer and Zambia Country Director
- Experience in working on WASH, BCC and NTD programmes
- Experience in research on WASH, BCC, and NTDs
- Competence in a broad range of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Good writing, presentation and communication skills
The application is open to individual consultants and consultancy firms based in Zambia