State Consultant- Water
1. POSITION VACANT:
State Consultant- Water, International Development Agency, Ranchi, Jharkhand
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
Our client is a respected, International Development Agency (IDA), that works across the globe to promote children's survival, protection and development.
Only 29% of the population in Jharkhand is covered by piped water supply schemes. The State Government has decided to increase coverage of piped water supply scheme to 40% by 2018. The Government has also identified several hindrances that actually prevent successful commissioning of piped water supply schemes. Some of these are as follows:
- Lack of Community’s involvement in installation & subsequently operation and maintenance, vis-à-vis the Department’s inability to involve communities in O&M;
- High O&M costs and difficulties in collection of water tariff from the users;
- Quality of services (of the government schemes) cannot be assured – downtime for minor repair often exceeds two to four weeks;
- Difficulties in ensuring house connections and also problems in maintenance of standposts;
During the annual review discussion- technical assistance was sought to develop SOP on water supply and training package for VWSCs. Thereafter, both the VWSCs and the SHGs needs to be trained on the salient features of the SOP and the process of widespread replication needs to be supported.
The Consultant will provide technical support in developing SOP for Water Security in Jharkhand and provide technical assistance in implementation of water supply and safety. In this context, a Consultant is required to support PMU and DWSD in WQ monitoring and technical support in PWS implementation across the state.
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
The State Consultant- Water (SC-WA) shall be responsible to support and strengthen the planning and implementation of Water Security programme with particular reference to Community Based Water Supply and Water Safety and developing network of water quality testing laboratories and reporting mechanisms.
The incumbent shall be responsible for facilitating planning and review mechanisms for water and will also be providing guidance in preparation of DPRs, technical advice on implementation, maintaining accounts of VWSCs, and NABL accreditation. The Consultant would also support in implementation of water quality surveys in districts of Jharkhand.
- Coordinate with Government Departments to provide technical support in planning, implementation and management of Water Supply programmes in districts and at state level;
- Develop Standard Operating Procedure for Water Security and Safety Planning for IDA supported HPDs;
- Coordinate with EIC, Chief Engineer, DWSD, SEs, EEs and other DWSD functionaries and PRI members for sanction of DPRs, allocation of funds for installation of the Swajal Water Supply Schemes and facilitate process of installation of scheme;
- Prepare for training program on O&M of piped water supply schemes and coordinate with Visvesvaraya Sanitation & Water Academy (VISWA) for trainings for districts;
- Provide Technical Assistance for NABL of districts lab and conduct training of lab staff as per NABL standards;
- Support in piloting GIS based water supply monitoring plan;
- Compile a booklet of success stories of Swajal schemes across the state;
- Prepare a status report of Public Water Systems in health facilities and AWCs;
- Orient newly appointed Junior Engineers on water quality new technologies.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
- Advanced university degree or diploma in civil engineering, public health, or related field.
- At least three to five years’ work experience in rural water supply, rural development, participatory approaches, training & material development
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of the concepts and principles of the new Water Policy reforms.
Skills and Competencies:
- A good knowledge of prevailing rules and regulations of the Government of Jharkhand and NRDWSP;
- Excellent communication skills in Hindi and English; ability to speak read and write fluently in both languages;
- Proven excellent analytical and report writing skills.
5. ESTIMATED TRAVEL:
Travel to 3-4 districts for approximately six days in a month for the achievement of the listed deliverables within state.
6. NATURE OF ENGAGEMENT:
The SC-WA-JH shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
7. REMEUNERATION, DSA:
Remuneration payable to the selected candidate in the form of professional fees shall be attractive and in alignment with market norms.
Applicants are required to provide details of salary history, as well as expected remuneration for the position, in the online application form, comprising:
- Monthly Professional Fees and
- Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) for field travel outside the duty station.
- The above elements shall be a key input into the selection and negotiation process;
- Candidates are expected to have their own laptops and be internet connected and these items shall not be provided.
8. LOCATION: Ranchi, Jharkhand
9. DURATION: The successful candidate shall be issued a consultancy contract from the date of joining till December 31, 2019.
10. REFERENCE: SC-WA-JH
11. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 2684 2162; 4165 3612
12. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link http://apply.samshrm.com by or before February 22, 2019.