Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships
Water4, a 501 (c)(3) tax exempt entity incorporated under the laws of the State of Oklahoma, USA, is an international nonprofit using faith, innovation and empowerment to reimagine a world free from the water crisis. Water4 equips missional entrepreneurs in developing nations to create lasting economic, physical and spiritual change through market-based safe water solutions. This approach puts the solutions to local problems in the hands of local people, and ensures that safe water access is sustained by local resources. Since 2008, Water4 has impacted the lives of over one million people in more than 30 countries through the power of safe and living water.
- Strategic Focus
- Networking and prospect management
- Institutional funding research & analysis
- Advocacy & policy influence
- Framing W4 within the broader industry
- Proposal development
- Grants compliance and donor reporting
The Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships (SDSP) will provide leadership to the organization’s efforts to obtain institutional support by developing the overall strategy for outreach and partnership development. They will focus on securing funding and new alliances for Water4’s annual and long-range plans from large institutional partners, including bilateral and multilateral donors, government agencies, corporations, foundations and other NGOs. They will develop and maintain fruitful relationships with these partners and donors and will actively seek opportunities for partnerships that align with Water4’s mission. The SDSP will regularly monitor institutional donors’ priorities and strategies to ensure that Water4 is aware of funding and partnership opportunities in a timely manner and is well poised to submit concept notes and grant proposals that will resonate with the donors.
The SDSP is also responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s overall advocacy strategy aimed at significantly influencing national and international leaders in the public and private sectors, in order to implement policies and programs that support the mission and goals of the organization. They will build and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and policymakers and position Water4 to be considered as a key influencer in the water services sector.
The SDSP will secure funding for new and existing strategic initiatives that can be built around various partnerships and will work closely with the CEO, Sr. Director of Programs, Director of Marketing, Director of Development, and Sr. Director of Operations to develop marketing and sales materials for institutional donors. They will contribute to the development of concept papers, applications and proposals, working collaboratively with the Sr. Director of Operations, Sr. Director of Programs, enterprise partners, and and finance teams to develop appropriate content that is aligned with funding opportunities and Water4 program goals. When funding is received, the SDSP will provide grants management support, working with the program and finance teams to ensure reporting and compliance requirements are understood and that reports are submitted to donors as required.
The SDSP will develop and maintain a best-practices understanding of the water services sector and will develop and maintain a detailed understanding of the mission, values, business strategy, business model and current field operations of Water4. They will serve as one of the key spokespersons for Water4 with other organizations engaged in the water sector and at industry events and will find new and meaningful ways to communicate impact to various stakeholders. The SDSP will work to position Water4 in the donor community as the leading organization centered on developing locally owned and operated water services businesses across Africa that focus on operating private sector-led public/private partnerships.
This position is part of Water4’s senior leadership team. Together with the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team, the SDO will provide input on strategic leadership and direction for the organization., They will help set both short- and long-term strategic plans for the organization; communicate those plans; and monitor the progress against those plans. Joint senior leadership team responsibilities include:
- Supporting the engagement of relevant staff and contributing towards the development and documentation of annual and long-range plans for Water4
- Developing major goals to support the organizational objectives and approving policies developed within relevant departments
- Influencing the direction, strategy and program growth of the organization, ensuring Water4’s focus on discipleship and church mobilization stay central to both its message and practice
- Organizing and prioritizing critical issues and required information for the CEO to facilitate efficient decision-making
- Helping to fulfill Water4’s ambitious goals as a rapidly growing organization
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Public Policy, International Development, or similar
- 10 years of experience in partnership development and advocacy
- Experience in international development a must, in the water services sector, a strong plus
- Experience in developing systems for tracking KPIs within the water sector related to advocacy
- Prior success securing funding from large institutional donors
- Thorough understanding of donor reporting and grants compliance (US Government grants compliance experience preferred)
- Proficiency in French preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
- Capacity to develop and nurture relationships with donors where donors view you and Water4 as trusted advisors in the water sector
- Framework to discern the best funding match between a donor and Water4
- Ability to engage program staff, in the US and in the field, in developing clear, concise and compelling proposals that stand up to the scrutiny of water services experts employed by targeted donors
- Ability to explain the work of Water4 in a clear and compelling manner in one-on-one meetings with donors and in group settings
- Extra strong listening skills to be exercised internally and externally – coupled with the ability to ask good questions
- Capacity to develop strong, trusting relationships with the CEO and Water4 senior leadership staff, based upon professional competence and on embodying the values of the Kingdom
- Team and leadership development (preferred)
- Group facilitation skills (preferred)
- Strong organizational skills and a disciplined approach to getting things done on a timely basis
- Exceptionally strong verbal and written communications skillsA
- bility to thrive in an organization that is infused with faith and vision, growing at a rapid pace and innovating on the fly