Duty Station Malindi, Kericho, Eldoret or Homa Bay
SNV is a non-profit international development organization established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 40 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We are present on the ground in 38 developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Balkans and operate in Agriculture & Food Security, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our more than 1,000 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and over 80 per cent are nationals of the countries where we work.
SNV has been engaged by DFID under the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Results Programme (WASH) to reach 2.73 million people with hygiene promotion and support at least 2.084 million people to gain to access to sanitation through the Sustainable Sanitation and Hygiene for All (SSH4A results) programme. The SSH4 Programme aims to improve access to sanitation and hygiene for rural populations in nine (8 in Africa and 1 in Asia) countries of operation. To achieve this, we focus on four key pillars: demand, supply, hygiene promotion and WASH governance covers. In Kenya, SNV is implementing this exciting programme in a total of ten sub counties that are spread in four counties namely Elgeyo Marakwet, Homa Bay, Kericho and Kilifi.
Reporting to the Team Leader SSH4A, the WASH Advisor will manage implementation of the SSH4A programme in the county and provide guidance to the country team in address emerging issues as well as support the SSH4A Team Leader in strategy development, corrective action and reporting on the BCC component. As the BCC Anchor, the WASH Advisor will contribute to learning in the country as well as across the other 8 countries.
For programme implementation at county level, the WASH Advisor will work closely with the county department for health as well as sanitation business enterprises. He/she will be responsible for planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating programme interventions in the county. He/she will build strong partnerships with the relevant county departments and business enterprises and inspire them towards collective action. The WASH Advisor will bear responsibility for achievement of programme results in the county.
Responsibilities as a BCC Anchor
- Provide guidance on design of SSH4A and county BCC strategies, capacity building and training efforts;
- Coaching the other WASH Advisors and WASH officers on BCC
- Design tools for planning, implementation, and monitoring of BCC activities;
- Support identification of strategic partnerships to enhance outreach and capacity for BCC interventions (e.g. community health workers, youth groups, women’s groups);
- Design reporting tools and coordinate country reporting on the BCC component
- Knowledge management and documentation on BCC based on field experience
Responsibilities at County Level
- Manage the strategic implementation of the four SSH4A components at county level.
- Prepare county intervention investment plans and budgets in collaboration with programme partners
- Coordinate programme interventions with the respective focal points of Programme partners at county and national level
- Monitor and analyse progress made on programme implementation; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions.
- Financial management of programme interventions
- Prepare progress reports for all county interventions
- Advanced degree in communications, social/behavioural sciences, community development or related field;
- At least 5 years of experience working for international organizations in a WASH advisory capacity;
- Strong programme management skills (planning, administration, financial and monitoring)
- Demonstrated knowledge of BCC approaches and methodology and experience in rolling out sanitation and hygiene campaigns or similar initiatives;
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills;
- Experience working with local partners, including governmental agencies at county level
2 years with possibility of extension
Desired start date:
How to apply?
Please apply by clicking on the apply button and completing your application in our in-house recruitment system before 23rd September 2016 with position title as reference. Due to expected his number of applications, we shall communicate with shortlisted applicants only.
More information about SNV Country
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org